Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Find and Replace Tool across different columns

ChrisPark793
5 - Atom

Hi All,

I was wondering if it was possible to use the Find and Replace tool for finding matching columns across 2 different sheets and then replacing data in one column from that on the second sheet 

For example 

I have 2 sheets of data below  and I want to replace the comment "Pending" with the comment "Collected" from the second table, replace the blank comment with comment "Reserved" and replace the comment "Acknowledged" with the comment "Cancelled". 

Last Internal NoteCollection No
Pending12345A
 67891B
Acknowledged 98765C

CommentsCollection No
Collected12345A
Reserved67891B
Cancelled98765C
7 REPLIES 7
Raj
16 - Nebula

Please find attached
mark done if this solve the problem,

ChrisPark793
5 - Atom

Hi Raj,

This solved the problem however I never explained properly. If the comment is originally blank, this will not always be replaced with "Reserved". Blank could also be replaced with "Collected" or any other type of comment.

Hammad_Rashid
11 - Bolide

Yes, it is possible to use the Find and Replace tool in Alteryx to replace data in one column from another sheet. Here’s how you can do it:

1. Use the Join tool to join the two sheets based on the Collection No column. This will create a new table with all the columns from both sheets.
  2. Use the Find and Replace tool to replace the values in the Comments column based on the values in the Last Internal Note column. Here’s how you can configure the tool:
    • Select the Comments column as the F Anchor input.
    • Select the Last Internal Note column as the Find input.
    • Select the Comments column as the Replace input.
    • In the Replace column, enter the following formula: IF IsNull([Comments]) THEN "Reserved" ELSEIF [Last Internal Note] = "Pending" THEN "Collected" ELSEIF [Last Internal Note] = "Acknowledged" THEN "Cancelled" ELSE [Comments] ENDIF
  3. Use the Select tool to remove the Last Internal Note column from the output.

This should give you the desired output. If the comment is originally blank, it will be replaced with “Reserved” as per your requirement. Let me know if you have any further questions!

ChrisPark793
5 - Atom

Hi Hammad-Rashid, 

Sorry I never gave a great sample to properly explain my problem. The only constant wihin my data would be the Collection No. 

Last Internal Note and Comments will be variable and can change - for example

Sheet 1 

Pending12345A
 67891B
Acknowledged 98765C
Pending43210D
 12345E

Sheet 2 

CommentsCollection No
Collected12345A
Reserved67891B
Cancelled98765C
Cancelled43210D
Collected12345E

Desired Output 

Collected12345A
Reserved67891B
Cancelled98765C
Cancelled43210D
Collected12345E

jdminton
12 - Quasar

I think what you're trying to do is in the attached. The issue with Find Replace is that it is very slow when you have much data. Also, bringing the data in this way allows you to create formulas to update the data. Let me know if this solves or at least helps.

Snag_2293c671.png

Snag_2294000f.png

ChrisPark793
5 - Atom

Thanks jdminton

Worked perfeclty 

lynnekilgore
7 - Meteor

This is a simple and really helpful set of steps. I'm so glad I found this - I fixed a simple error just now and the workflow runs well. Thank you!

Labels