Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Find & Replace / Join Tool : can't replace data because of different fields

Victouf
7 - Meteor

Hi everybody,

I have to translate the data of a field. I have a translation dataset that I use. I tried using Find & Replace but since the field where it looks for the information is not the same as the one I need to translate it doesn't work. Basically it looks by the field "Base" so it replaces in the output field "Base" but I need to replace in the field "Description"

So I came up with another solution but I am wondering if there is a nicer way to do it. Basically I use a Join tool to add a column with all the translation it finds, use a formula tool to add a column to the output dataset where it didn't find a translation and then a union tool to put it all back together.

Let me know what you think,

Best

5 REPLIES 5
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Victouf 

Seems like you have attached files of previous questions 😅

Victouf
7 - Meteor

Yes because it is the same workflow but a different issue and I didn't want to mix both 😅

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Victouf 

I think i got your question you are speaking about the highlighted formula part.

atcodedog05_0-1629997982672.png

Nope sadly what you are speaking is not possible. What you have done is the right approach. Thats the only way it can be done.

Hope this helps : )

iCFO
9 - Comet

I built an iterative version of the find and replace tool that can achieve this as well if you use a custom formula option to compare the 2 different fields. I wouldn’t recommend the approach unless you wanted to build a user friendly excel controller or something.

iCFO
9 - Comet

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Dynamic-Replace-Tool-unmatched-fields-...

Here is a link to my iterative find and replace in case you are interested.

Labels