Join the Alteryx Community’s Maveryx Summer Cup event! Compete, network with others, and earn your gold through a series of challenges from July 24th to August 11th. Learn more about the event here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Field Name Contains Data in Middle of Workflow: Push Field Name Row Down (not Input tool)

paulwini
7 - Meteor

Hi Everyone,

I have an Alteryx workflow where the data in the field name contains data, and so I need the field names to be pushed down into the first row. I then need the field names to be F1, F2, etc. after this is accomplished. I know in my attached workflow I could easily change the input tool to select "First Row Contains Data", but in my use case the data is structured this way after the input tool. I therefore can't use this solution.

Initial Data Structure:

InitialInput.png

Desire Output:

DesriedOutput.png

Does anyone have any tips on how to accomplish this? Attached is an Excel file of the data and a sample Alteryx workflow.

Thank you,

Paul

4 REPLIES 4
HomesickSurfer
12 - Quasar

Hi @paulwini 

Here's my solution. Isolate the 1st record(row), transpose, union, transpose in reverse order, re-union

Workflow package attached.  Export to C:\Temp to test.  Enjoy!

paulwini.PNG

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @paulwini ,

My take on this:

mceleavey_0-1635790796878.png

The problem you have is that the rename will remove the column headers rather than move them down, so a quick pivot and a generation of the new required headers gives you both. You then just need to pivot back and union:

mceleavey_1-1635790877398.png

I hope this helps.

M.

Bulien

paulwini
7 - Meteor

Incredible! Thank you both so much. Exactly what I needed.

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

no problem.gif

Bulien

Labels