Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Excel Worksheets Reorder

DelData
7 - Meteor

Hi There,

Can you help....I have an excel which has 4 worksheets but these worksheets are not in right order.

The worksheet order I want is alphabetically........a to d............so i want to order the worksheets in the attached excel tp go from before to after as shown below...

I not sure how I can use Alteryx to rearrange excel worksheets...anyone know how best and easiest way to do this? 

Before

ship mode before wsheets.png

After

ship mode after wsheets.png

8 REPLIES 8
Matt_D
9 - Comet

Hi @DelData it this spreadsheet your starting point, so you just want Alteryx to do nothing with the data only rearrange the sheets? 🙂

DelData
7 - Meteor

Correct.....I just want to know how i can use Alteryx to correctly order the worksheet tabs.....

this request has nothing to do with the data.... :)

Matt_D
9 - Comet

OK the big issue here is losing your formatting,  I'm assuming this data will change in row volume each time you get a new one shared with to you?

I ask as if you want to preserve formatting you'd need to save a template without data and write to that. But if rows change, that grey highlighted column for instance wouldn't change in your template, so more rows means the additional ones would not get filled grey, etc.

How precious are you about the in sheet formatting? Sheet tab colours wouldn't be an issue.

DelData
7 - Meteor

Hi....i do not need any formatting.....i just added colours to show easier what i wanted...
As long as raw data remains untouched then all formatting can be stripped out...no worries :)

DelData
7 - Meteor

data will also change row volume each time i get excel :)

Matt_D
9 - Comet

I don't actually know about how Alteryx orders output sheets but it seems like there is some alphabetical process in this example. 

If the datatypes change  or columns change sheet to sheet this may break but for your specific example, this works. reads in the sheets names from your file, opens the data, unions then outputs, in the order you wanted.

You'll just need to change the input / output location accordingly.

Ignore the error, just import and click OK, it should run. I'm using %TEMP% in the dynamic input, I didn't know Alteryx would get angry about it. 😎

DelData
7 - Meteor

Great....Thanks Matt....this work a charm....thanks for fixing and taking time out to help :)

Matt_D
9 - Comet

Anytime 👍

Labels