Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Error: Batch Macro not reading in files

ZeeshaanH
7 - Meteor

Hi,

I need to input multiple excel files; they have the same schema and sheet name. I have tried using a Dynamic Input tool, but I get the error of this 'file has a different schema than the 1st file in the set'. I have checked the data; the columns are in the same order, but there is a different data type for one column which is causing this error.

In the dynamic input tool, I have chosen the 'First row is data' to try and bypass this issue, but unfortunately it is still there.

Therefore, I decided to do some research on Batch Macros and have gone through multiple tutorials; yet I can't get it to work. 

I have a batch macro which I update the action tool to update the full path; in the interface designer, I also choose the option of Auto configure by Name.

In the actual workflow, I use the full path plus the sheet name, but only the first file gets read and the others get ignored. 

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Zeeshaan

4 REPLIES 4
AngelosPachis
16 - Nebula

Hi @ZeeshaanH 

Can you try adding a browse tool after your batch macro output and run the workflow again?

ZeeshaanH
7 - Meteor

That works! 

Do you know why I needed to add a browse tool and not just look at the result toggle from the macro tool instead? 

Thanks for your help and quick response! @AngelosPachis 

Zeeshaan

AngelosPachis
16 - Nebula

Not sure @ZeeshaanH , I think it's a has to do with how batch macros output data in the background and was an issue that was always present. You should have a browse tool after your batch macro or at least a tool connected to the macro output to see the complete results in your results window.

There was this idea to fix this: 

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Ideas/Update-the-macro-tool-s-output-anchor-functi...

and indeed there was a temporary fix in version 2020.4, but that caused other issues apparently and the production team couldn't come up with a permanent fix.

ZeeshaanH
7 - Meteor

hmm, okay.

Appreciate the help! 

Thanks

Zeeshaan

Labels