Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Email tool SMTP settings are not visible

bradtukey
7 - Meteor

Please see attached screenshot. I can't view SMTP settings in the email tool, even though I am getting an error asking me to update them. What am I missing?

17 REPLIES 17
vizwithdan
8 - Asteroid

Hi Brad,

This could be an issue with the email address you are using to send from. A while ago Alteryx changed the tool and it won't auto-detect the SMTP path for security reasons. Try a real email address and see how you get on. 
It basically doesn't provide a way to authenticate your sender account credentials. It may be possible if you configure an IP-based authentication.

Thanks

bradtukey
7 - Meteor

Thank you for the reply. I only changed the email address for the screehshot, for confidentiality reasons. I was using a valid address when I got the error. 

vizwithdan
8 - Asteroid

It may be a case of Alteryx having a moment and you need to re-set up the connection. What happens when you click on 'Set up a connection?'

bradtukey
7 - Meteor

When I click on "set up a connection". It opens up the connection window (see attached). But, for this workflow I'm using an Excel sheet as the data source, saved to my local machine. I don't need to connect to any external data sources for this workflow. I have also tried rebooting Alteryx and closing and re-opening the workflow. I have also deleted and used a new Email tool. 

vizwithdan
8 - Asteroid

Hi Brad, 

Have you tried setting up the connection again?

BS_THE_ANALYST
14 - Magnetar

@bradtukey you can see the SMTP settings when you deselect "Use Data Connection Manager":

i.e:
1.png2.png

Can you open up a new canvas and test this please.

If that works, you may need to consider replacing your existing tool on the workflow with a fresh one and reconfiguring if you can't see the DCM option.

All the best,

BS

bradtukey
7 - Meteor

Hi. Thank you for the reply. However, even when I open a new canvas and insert a new email tool, I can't see the checkbox for "Use Data Connection Manager". See attached. 

vizwithdan
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Brad,

Are you trying to use an Excel sheet from within an email as a data source?
If that is the case, you can't do that and would need to download the Excel file and connect directly to the Excel file.

Thanks
Danny

bradtukey
7 - Meteor

Hi. I am using an Excel file that is saved to my local machine, not from within an email. 

Labels