Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Email Tool Error | "Func 'curl_easy_perform' failed, ret =8, desc - Weird server reply"

sbanerjee1998
5 - Atom

Hello All,

I'm trying to configure an email tool. After reaching out to my organization's IT team, I have been able to configure the email tool with the SMTP details successfully. However, the email tool works intermittently. Sometimes it runs without any issues, but on other occasions, it throws an error with the description -

"Error: Email (73): Record#1: Func 'curl_easy_perform' failed, ret = 8, desc = Weird server reply"

I understand there's another community post (Solved: Weird Server Reply error message - Alteryx Community) where the real root cause wasn't uncovered.

If anyone has any idea about how to avoid this error, it would be much appreciated. Please do let me know.

P.S. - I'm unable to attach an image of the configuration due to certain restrictions. Below is the configuration of the email tool:

1. Encryption - None
2. Use SMTP Authentication is not enabled.

Thank you.

Siddharth

12 REPLIES 12
jacobcarman
8 - Asteroid

I am running into the same issue.

sathyaKPMG
7 - Meteor

I had a same issue  , it got resloved after giving right  SMTP and port number .Try this 

sbanerjee1998
5 - Atom

Hi All,

Quick update - I never was able to resolve this issue. My best guess is that this is something wrong with the configuration of the SMTP server because in case the connection was being wrongly configured in the email tool, it would not work at all.

However, if you upload the workflow to Alteryx Server and run it from there, then there are no challenges. The mails get triggered every time.

Thanks!

JVMORO
7 - Meteor

Hey guys,

My error is the same, and it happens when I run the flow in the gallery, does anyone know how I can solve it?
When I run the same flow inside alteryx it works

Alexandra_Mannerings
8 - Asteroid

I'm suddenly getting the same error on a workflow that has always worked, and emailed no problem. Worse, it seems to work for the first email and then breaks - which suggests it's not an SMTP configuration issue because the first email shouldn't go out! 

I've also tried multiple SMTPs and gotten the same error with both of them. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

JVMORO
7 - Meteor

Does your output generate a very large amount of data?
I solved my problem when I realized that this error was giving because my output exceeded the limit that the email allows.

Alexandra_Mannerings
8 - Asteroid

Great thought, but no, it's a small PDF attachment. I actually discovered it's an error with the latest version of Alteryx - 2023.1. When I run the identical workflow, without changing anything, in 2022.3, it works absolutely fine. 

murchana_gogoi93
5 - Atom

I am facing the same problem .I am trying to use the email tool in Altreyx, the smtp path is also correct.
But I dont know why I am not able to send the email.
Please help anyone.

Alexandra_Mannerings
8 - Asteroid

I reached out to Alteryx support, and they discovered this is a bug in 2023.1. You can revert back to a 2022 version of Alteryx and the email tool starts to work again.  

Labels