Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamic import of files that have different names and arrives different days

Lego
5 - Atom

Hi

I want to import Excel files that have different names in to Alteryx in a way that I import the first one but for the rest  I want Alteryx to import automatically.  Imagine those Excel files come in sequence - day(week) over day(week) and each of them is titled differently. I mean today I received Client data titled "XYB_data" from one team and imported into Input tool. Tomorrow another file titled differently like "ABC_Revenue" was sent from another team and moving forward I receive various files with different names. In such situation I can import only the initial one and dont know how I can make configuration through which Alteryx is able to perceive the name differences and automatically replace the initial ones with the new ones and produce the updated Output each time when it replace the previous one.

I hope I could explain properly what is my desire

Thank you

3 REPLIES 3
BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

If you use a Directory tool followed by some logic that sorts them in the order you want and maybe a sample tool to take the first record and then feed that into a Dynamic Input, you would be able to just read in the latest file that you are interested in based on your sorting logic. 

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

It would effectively be this approach, but adding in logic to just choose the specific file(s) that you want: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/The-Ultimate-Input-Data-Flowchart/t... 

apathetichell
19 - Altair

Are they in the same schema? If not - try feeding the filepath from the directory tool into my macro?

https://gallery.alteryx.com/#!app/Excel-lent-adventure---Bogus-Batch-Journey/60fd8af7826fd3167c292e3...

note - requires R. May have some issues for admin installs where installing r packages in 2021.2 may be ahem "spotty."

Labels