Join the Alteryx Community’s Maveryx Summer Cup event! Compete, network with others, and earn your gold through a series of challenges from July 24th to August 11th. Learn more about the event here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Dynamic Chained Apps

ripcityscorp94
6 - Meteoroid

Hello All!

I was wondering if there is a way to basically use some sort of interface tool/variable that will allow me to change the "On Success - Run Another Analytical App" in the Interface designer. The goal of my workflow is to see certain info come into it initially, then based on that data, launch one of several different workflows. 

I tried launching via the command prompt, but I think there is a current licensing issue that won't be resolved anytime soon. So I am looking to see if this is a solution. To my knowledge, there is no "interface tool" that will allow me to pass is in a variable to this section like say a File Browse tool can, or an action tool even.

9 REPLIES 9
DylanDowrick
8 - Asteroid

If you haven't downloaded the CReW Macro Pack yet, you should.

But my initial thought would be to have a CReW Macro Runner tool for each of your possible on success runs. Then based on information from your workflow you can use a Radio Button tool to select only the report you need ran (disabling the other report).

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @ripcityscorp94 ,

The short answer is yes, but it's complicated.

You can determine which app to chain based on logic within the workflow and by opening the subsequent chained app as a Flat ASCII, amend the <Wiz_ChainRunWizard> field to the name of the app to which you wish to chain, then saving that file.

I can jump on a call at some point and run you through how to do this, but I'm also going to be blogging this in the near future. It's a bit brain-bendy.

M

Bulien

DylanDowrick
8 - Asteroid

Here's a quick walkthrough of my previous suggestion.

DylanDowrick_0-1619119614414.png

DylanDowrick_1-1619119629024.png

In this scenario, it runs the New Workflow.yxwz analytic app, then subsequently runs New Workflow0.yxwz. When it runs the second app you have the option of running either Route1 workflow or Route2 workflow (your decision), and it disables the box running the other workflow.

DylanDowrick
8 - Asteroid

Here are the flows if you need the disable container formulas.

ripcityscorp94
6 - Meteoroid

This still wouldn't be an ideal solution. My hope is I have a subfolder that people on my team can drop any of their workflows into, and then I have a master mapping file embedded in my first workflow that will recognize which of these workflows need to be run, and call on it to be executed anytime. I do not want to have a million tool containers/tool for each possible workflow, but rather a simple way to launch any workflow designated in the subfolder. 

ripcityscorp94
6 - Meteoroid

This is very interesting. I actually fixed the issues with my license, and can now launch through the command prompt alleviating most of my issues. 

Can you keep me in mind and possibly alert me when the post has been created? I'd be interested in reading.

Thanks!

DylanDowrick
8 - Asteroid

@ripcityscorp94  As long as there are clear-cut rules for which workflows need to be ran, there is definitely a feasible solution for you. Using the List Runner CReW macro you can run any number of workflows out of a folder/sub-folder where you can filter the flows beforehand for which need to be ran.

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @mceleavey 

How is it that you only have one like for this idea.  It's brilliant!

Dan

Not applicable

Cheers Dan,

I had a lot of help with this from @TheOC who helped me with a particularly challenging project.

It opens a vast array of possibilities. Blog incoming 🙂

M.

Labels