Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Dropdown

sgaryali
8 - Asteroid

Hi

I am trying to create dropdown with dates provided in input file.

And I am to do that but the problem I am facing is that when I am using 2021 year file I am getting the dates which are present in file.

But when I am changing the input file and using next year in analytical app it is still reflecting the date from previous file.

How can we resolve this?

I am adding my workflow and last and this year files.
Please help in this 🙂

4 REPLIES 4
messi007
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@sgaryali,

You uploaded the same excel file twice.

Have you tried to run the workflow from the desktop with the new file ? the problem is that the Dropdown list keep data in memory running the workflow twice could solve the issue.

Or I receommande you to use an input text instead of a drop down list.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

sgaryali
8 - Asteroid

Hi @messi007 

Yes sorry for uploading the same file I am adding new one here.
Yes I can run that from desktop but I need to migrate the workflow to server and users will run it from there so I cannot keep using desktop every time.

Yes I am aware about text input but this data may change so I want user to use the new file every time the run the workflow.
Is there no workaround for this?

SoccerTil
8 - Asteroid

The situation with dynamic input into an App and memory is solved by chaining applications together. The first application reads the file, writes a name/value file and then calls the second application. The second application reads Drop Down reads the name/value file and takes action. If you need additional ideas let me know.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Interactive-Lessons/Chaining-Analytic-Apps/ta-p/243120

or

https://youtu.be/oSYe0-jsbyA

Alteryx applications can require dynamic data to be incorporated into the Interactive widgets. Most times this will come from database tables. This video show you how to chain applications together so that dynamic data from a MySQL database can be used to populate a Check Box interactive widget ...
messi007
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@sgaryali,

I have done it using chained app. So thanks to @SoccerTil  for the idea 🙂

1- 

I created the first app that update the input for the dropdown list

messi007_0-1642781687925.png

2- Create the an app with only the drop down list (DropDown.yxwz)

messi007_1-1642782054613.png

3- I chained the first app with the second app

messi007_2-1642782104383.png

Now I can see the new dates:

messi007_0-1642782883654.png

Attached bith apps.

Hope this helps!

Regards

Labels