Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Drop Down tool isn't getting the latest data - Analytic App

FabioP
8 - Asteroid

Dear all,

I created an Analytic App workflow where I'm using the the Drop Down tool configured to get "Fields from Connected Tool".

So, every time I Run as Analytic App my Input File is updated and the data that goes to Drop Down tool change. It's possible to confirm that my data is being updated looking to the input file (Excel). Until here... OK!

The issue is that de values (based on Fields) in my drop down aren't being updated:

Running as  Analytic App

The first time I've the following values in the Drop Drown:

XXXXX.png

After I run it for the first time (selecting 'A12'), my data will be updated and it won't have 'A12' anymore.

Running for the second time, it should have the values updated and it only shows from A13 onwards... For example:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX.png

But what happens is that I keep having the same list with 'A12', even with my input (Excel) file updated.

The way that I found to update the values is, open my Analytic App file in Alteryx (instead of running it); run normally; run as Analytic App through Alteryx; and save the file again... After this, I can see the values updated when I run the Analytic App directly.

Is there any way that the drop down get the latest values automatically?

Am I missing some setting or something?

Thanks! 

3 REPLIES 3
caltang
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

If you are running a Chain App, then your first workflow should get you all your Names & Values, so that your current workflow (2nd one) will call from that output in your interface tool (drop-down tool in your case). 

Running the first chain app will always generate you the updated list required.

Another method is for you to attach a file browse to your drop-down tool (both are interfaces), then your file browse should showcase the output values accordingly.

If you ask me, I prefer the first method with Chain Apps because I know it will always work for me.

Calvin Tang
Alteryx ACE
https://www.linkedin.com/in/calvintangkw/
FabioP
8 - Asteroid

Hi @caltang

I was working on this issue here (trial/error) and I ended up getting it to work similar to the second way you mention. After I understood that the Drop Down tool had its values loaded before read the input file (in de way I was doing before, using  option of "Fields from Connected Tool"), I changed to load values from "External Source" and these files are updated along the same workflow.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your help!

caltang
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Glad it helped my friend! Happy Alteryxing!

Calvin Tang
Alteryx ACE
https://www.linkedin.com/in/calvintangkw/
Labels