Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Does "Performance Profiling" actually decrease workflow processing performance?

mlittletn
7 - Meteor

The help documentation mentions that enabling Performance Profiling may decrease workflow processing performance.  Has anyone actually noticed any negative side affects from enabling the performance profiling?   I can't imagine it adds any significant overhead to purely track the duration for each tool and then capture/display in the log.   Maybe there is some minimal overhead for extremely large workflows.... 

I tend to turn it on for all workflows that I publish to my companies gallery so that if a workflow all the sudden takes longer to run I already have the profiling enabled to determine why.

From the help documentation:

• Enable Performance Profiling: Select to receive information about the performance of tools in a workflow. After you run the workflow, in the Results window, you can view the time it took to run each tool in the workflow. Use this option to troubleshoot a specific workflow because it may decrease workflow processing performance.
1 REPLY 1
KilianL
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @mlittletn ,

I just did a test and enabling performance profiling increased runtime from 2 seconds to 3.7 seconds. Tested on 10mio generated records, see attached.

This will differ depending on your data and workflow. It didn't make a big difference when I tested it on another workflow.

I suggest to run a test on your own workflows to see if it makes a difference.

Please mark this as the solution if it answers your question, it will help others to find solutions quicker.

Kind Regards,
Kilian
Solutions Engineer - Alteryx

Labels