Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Does Alteryx Still Recommend NOT Using AMP on Spatial Tools?

Eli_B
10 - Fireball

Hi!

Over the years since AMP first came out, I submitted tickets about issues with spatial tools (Buffer/Trade Area/Spatial Process) where the results from AMP differed from the results from the normal engine, like the area of a trade area being different. Each time I was instructed that AMP wasn't for spatial tools & to continue to use the normal engine for these workflows.

Has Alteryx added any Spatial tools to the AMP roster yet or does Alteryx still recommend using the normal engine for spatial processes?

Thank you!

6 REPLIES 6
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

I'd add the amp tag in this type of question. @TonyaS 

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
harsh_alang
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hello Eli,

Could you share what version of Designer you are using?

You can use AMP with Spatial tools. AMP was released as Default in 22.1. We have resolved a lot of defects and would love to get your feedback once you use it.  

Thanks

HarshA
Eli_B
10 - Fireball

Hi!

I'm on 2022.3.1.430. I never got any response back on the cases that AMP was safe to use with spatial tools so I've always gone to my settings & turned off the default AMP engine options as the majority of my analysis is spatial.

Do you have a list of which tools have actually been improved to work with AMP (meaning there is actual speed improvement)? I've seen a lot of messages about AMP issues on our internal Slack channel, so if there hasn't been any improvements to like the Spatial Process tool, I would just leave those types of workflows on the normal engine rather than find/deal with any bugs. Would be sweet if there was AMP improvement on the geocoder & Find Nearest tool!

Thanks!

Eli

RobertOdera
13 - Pulsar

Hi, @Eli_B 

Cheers!

Eli_B
10 - Fireball

Hi!

According to these lists, only a few spatial tools have been fully converted over (Create Points & Spatial Match). All of the other ones either haven't been or revert to the original engine when using drivetime (which I use). 

Given the previous warnings about AMP & spatial tools from support, & that most of the spatial tools use the original engine anyway, I'm just going to stick to the normal engine until I'm able to do side by side comparisons of the results from each engine.

I'll keep an eye out for future Tool Use with AMP updates, thanks!

harsh_alang
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hello Eli,

Alteryx recently released a tool to compare workflow runs using the two Engines. If you have not tried it, the link is below. This tool lets you compare if how the same workflow runs using the two engines. Perhaps this can you with your decision.

Unleash AMP Prowess with Engines Parity Utility - Alteryx Community

thanks

HarshA
Labels