Alert: There is a planned Community maintenance outage October 16th from approximately 10 - 11 PM PST. During this time the Alteryx Community will be inaccessible. Thank you for your understanding!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Differencing time series outside TS ARIMA

ritikat
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Experts,

Can we do differencing on a time series outside TS ARIMA tool? I want to difference the series outside and then check the ACF and PCF in the TS PLOT. 

Regards,

Ritika

3 REPLIES 3
AngelosPachis
16 - Nebula

Hi @ritikat ,

Not sure if that answers the question, but can't you imitate differencing with a multi-row formula tool  (first, second grade if needed and so on) and then checking if the time-series is stationary or not based on that?

It's a really interesting question. If I may ask, what's the reason that makes you want to do it outside the ARIMA tool?

Regards,

Angelos

ritikat
6 - Meteoroid

Hi @AngelosPachis ,

Thank you for your prompt answer

The idea is to analyze the following in the time series - 

1) If the time series is stationary or not - I did a Dicky Fuller's test using python. After checking the ADF coefficient and p - value , I figured that series is not stationary. 

2) Make the time series stationary and then again do the ADF test to check if it's stationary. To do this step, I would like to do the differencing outside. 

Regards,

Ritika

AngelosPachis
16 - Nebula

Oh I see, to be honest I am not sure how the ARIMA tool enforces/checks stationarity and whether it uses the Dickey Fuller test. I know it is somehow done automatically but can't quite tell.

I think the multi-row formula tool will help you do the differencing outside of the tool and then feed the data into Python. Hope this will work, it's a really cool idea

Labels