Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Cross Tab tool creates unknown error - in different workflows and in different scenario's

lexhartman
6 - Meteoroid

We (our organisation) recently update to the latest version of Alteryx Designer (2023.1.1.200 Patch: 1). Since this version my collegue and me are experiencing an error. This occurs in workflows where the "Cross tab" tool is used. In most flows the workaround is running the flow multiple times (without changing anything) and 1 out of 5 times the flow finishes succesfully. But 4 out of 5 it ends with an error: "Error: Designer x64: The Designer x64 reported: You have found a bug. The pipe has been ended.". But today i wanted to start a flow where i can't use the workaround, alle of the runtimes give the above error so i want to reach out to the community and find a solution. Anybody experiencing this same issue? I tried multiple "debug scenarios's" like inserting a sample tool to minimize the data, inserting a select tool to only select the columns that are used within the cross tab and also combining these scenario's but none of them work. The data doesn't seem to be the issue.

EDIT: These flows used to work in older versions of Alteryx Designer without warnings or errors.

5 REPLIES 5
ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

In 2023.1, is it possible to turn of the AMP engine?

See this post: Re: Error - The Pipe has been ended. - Alteryx Community

lexhartman
6 - Meteoroid

That seems to avoid the issue, yes. But a flow that normally would take approximately 30 seconds now takes 30 minutes. But for now it's better then nothing off course. Thank you!

redah
5 - Atom

Hi,

Did you find a solution to this issue? Same thing happens to my workflow. The first few times I run the workflow it works, but then after the 5/6th run it throws out the "You have found a bug. The pipe has been ended" error. I can't switch the AMP engine off because the Tableau output tool needs it on to operate. The current solution that works for me is to copy/paste the entire workflow to a new workflow and then delete the cross tab and re-add it. I don't think this workaround is a sustainable solution though.

lexhartman
6 - Meteoroid

I recognize the scenarion (running it multiple times but after a few times it shows the error). It also happened the other way around (giving an error a few times and then the flow completes without errors).

Unfortunately i didn't found an other solution then turning the AMP Engine off.

Hopefully Alteryx will fix this in a near-future update.

bertal34
9 - Comet

@lexhartman @ChrisTX 

I have encountered this same error today in designer 23.1.  I made two changes to my workflow and have not gotten the error, I'm hopeful it completely resolved the error.  See screenshot attached.

First, the field in my Cross Tab I'm using to "change column headers" I noticed one value contained a dash (hyphen) character.  Perhaps that is causing problems in the cross tab.  So I inserted a Data Cleanse tool to remove punctuation from that field.

Second, I placed an Auto Field tool before the Cross Tab so the string field sizes are reduced.

Third, it may also help to have the Cross Tab in it's own Control Container so it runs in isolation.

I will let you now if I encounter this error again.  Let me know if these ideas help with your workflow.

Labels