Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Create a workflow that reorders columns according to the header

NadaH
6 - Meteoroid

Hello everyone,

I am new on alteryx and I would like to create a workflow which reorders the columns regardless of the input file order.

if the input of the workflow corresponds to File 1 or File 2 the output should be the same

example :

Input File 1: E A B D C 

Input File 2:B D E A C

Output file should be : A B C D E 

Thank you in advance for your help

6 REPLIES 6
NickSm
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @NadaH ,

Would sorting headers alphabetically be a solution? If so, there is a "Sort Fields" tool in the CReW Macros pack which would be an easy one-tool fix. If not alphabetic, there are some other creative ways to define order.

For the CReW macros, you can download and install those tools in just a minute here:

http://www.chaosreignswithin.com/p/macros.html

NadaH
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you for your answer @NickSm ,
No, in my case the order of my columns should not be done alphabetically.

Can you give me some hints in this case?

Thanks

john_watkins
11 - Bolide

If both file inputs were fixed, you can use a Select Tool and click on the name of the field to auto-sort.  This will provide a one-time sort in either ascending or descending order and will at least minimize the clicking of the up-down arrow to do it manually.  If your inputs will vary, I second NickSm's response about using the Sort Fields tool for simplicity.

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @NadaH ,

I've attached a workflow that does this for you.

As you can see, I've created a file that determines the order of the columns. I then transpose the data, assign this order as a number, sort by that number, then crosstab back so the data is back in the original format but with the column in the correct order.

mceleavey_0-1623685953583.png

mceleavey_1-1623685977960.png

I hope this helps,

M.

Bulien

NadaH
6 - Meteoroid

@mceleavey Thank you

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

no problem.gif