Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Copying data from a fixed range to a dynamic range

rajivkarai
6 - Meteoroid

Hi,

I am looking for a solution where i can create a workflow that will copy data from a fixed range (say B1:B6) to a range that changes with the date number in another sheets.

For Example:

I have data in sheet1 in range B1:B6.

I need to copy this data and paste in sheet2 column R (as today is the 18th) range R1:R6. if the date is 19th the it should copy data to column S range S1:S6.

Kindly help!!! Also, this workflow will have to be uploaded to Alteryx Gallery.

6 REPLIES 6
AbhilashR
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @rajivkarai, attached is an attempt to create a solution for you to build upon. Not the most elegant approach given I manually created a day-column mapping Univ., but get the job done. The key step is in manually constructing the output path string in the formula tool towards the end, and how you set up the Output tool.

".\Output Test.xlsx|||Sheet3$" 
	+ [COLUMN]+[Min_RecordID]
	+":"
	+[COLUMN]+[Max_RecordID]

AbhilashR_0-1589772773641.png

Also attached is a copy of the final output file with data being written to Sheet3. My local machine is still giving me the date as 17th because of which the output is in column Q. Give it a try on your actual data and let us know if you run into challenges. 

rajivkarai
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Abhilash,

Thanks for the quick reply.

The solution worked upto a certain extent. So i use alteryx version 2019.4as the gallery version is 2019.4.

Now when i run the workflow i faced the following issues:

1. The sheet gets corrupted after the workflow runs.

rajivkarai_1-1589775647561.png

2. When i look at sheet 3, somehow the data from the previous columns disappear.

rajivkarai_2-1589775686865.png

Thanks a lot again for the quick reply. Can you also help me fix the above issues.

AbhilashR
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @rajivkarai, to be honest I am not sure what is causing the issue. I'll try investigating further and get back to you. But if this is an urgent issue you are looking to resolve, I suggest reaching out to Alteryx's Virtual Solution Center. They are pretty good at helping out users needing immediate attention.

rajivkarai
6 - Meteoroid

Thank You Abhilash!!

I have booked an appointment with the Alteryx support.

Thanks a ton!!

AbhilashR
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Perfect! If it is not too much effort, can you update this thread with the solution once you are able to resolve the issue? It will help other community members in their journey should they run into a similar issue.

rajivkarai
6 - Meteoroid

Hi,

For developing the solution i had contacted the Alteryx Expert. They were very helpful and sent me a few documents on CrossTab and Transpose.

Using those documentation i was able to develop the solution i needed.

Attached are the ALteryx workflow and the Excel file in which the output is written to.

Thank you for the quick response!!!

Labels