Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Convert monthly payments into yearly total fields

jmlabelle65
7 - Meteor

I am trying to build a workflow that will take an excel file with multiple column fields including monthly payments that go out 20 years.

I would like to group this data by more than 1 column field and then summarize by year.  Is there a formula that will look at the year in a date and then create and add new fields that add up the total payments by year for each grouping?

14 REPLIES 14
marcusblackhill
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Hi @jmlabelle65 !

Will be better if you can share a example data with us but I understand being some like this

Record01/201902/2019

That way, you maybe can use transpose to to make only one column with the monthly data and create a column to get the year, maybe by DateTimeYear if you data have the datatype like date or using right formula if is string. With that new column you can use summarize tool to group by year and sum the total in values column.

Hope that help!

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@jmlabelle65 
I believe Transpose Tool is what we need here.

Just forged some data to demostrate.

0106-jmlabelle65.PNG

jmlabelle65
7 - Meteor

Attached is a sample of the data, I would like to group by the 1st 2 fields and then sum the total payments for each by year

marcusblackhill
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

@jmlabelle65 

Ok, I think that attached example will help you

jmlabelle65
7 - Meteor

Can you tell me how I can open the example file, there doesn't seem to be a link.

jmlabelle65
7 - Meteor

Never mind I see it

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@jmlabelle65 
Just revised the workflow based on your input file.

Appreciate you would mark it as accept if you find it help.

0106-jmlabelle65-1.PNG

jmlabelle65
7 - Meteor

Almost.  I have attached a file with the result I am looking for better clarity.  I can do this in excel using sumproduct  but would like to have alteryx do it for me using a workflow.

Appreciate your help and sorry if I am not being clear.

marcusblackhill
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Not a problem @jmlabelle65 

Look if now is what you need.

Labels