Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Connecting data from Databricks (as input) to Alteryx Desinger

Hello Together,

I have a scenario in connecting Databricks (as input connection) to Alteryx. In this scenario, please advice if we have the tool under In-Database tool pallet? If Yes, please assist as how we connect to databricks unity catalog (having a generic / service account) and what is the tool name. Thank you! 

13 RÉPONSES 13
alexnajm
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Yes Databricks is available through the Connect IN-DB tool - see the documentation here to see the setup! https://knowledge.alteryx.com/index/s/article/How-To-Configure-a-Databricks-Connection-1583461555625

apathetichell
Altaïr

Note - to write to databricks you use the datastream in tool - I use the IN-DB pallet extensively with databricks but write- I bring it on canvas via Datastream Out and then write via Datastream In. Later versions of Alteryx may support different features but may have their own bugs/issues.

avanibhatnagar
Astéroïde

@alexnajm We are unable to see Unity Catalog using this In-Db connection. We are not on 2023 version of alteryx yet. 

apathetichell
Altaïr

you don't need to be on 2023 to see Unity Catalog (I'm on 2021.4). There are lots of reasons why your Databricks connection could be wrong - I've posted a slew on this - but first - can you confirm that your connection works in ODBC 64 (ie if you hit Test - will it connect?) If not handle that first.

alexnajm
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@apathetichell I am interested in this, can you post those discussions you mentioned and/or outline what you've done in the past to get tables to display?

apathetichell
Altaïr

@alexnajm - Unity Catalog specific or DB? We have two DB setups - and I believe the one we use less frequently is Unity Catalog. I do not remember any secondary setups that we did.

Hpitcockaa
Atome

Did you ever run into an issue where all of your test connections worked, but as soon as you selected the DB in the Connect In-DB tool your application stopped responding? I feel like I must be doing something wrong, but don't know what

apathetichell
Altaïr

set up your connection in odbc 64 for logging - see the logs? Assuming your connection is via token (vs SSO/active directory) the only time I've seen that kind of behavior in setting up an In-DB connection is when the initial metadata caching (ie the tables/schema/etc) takes 10-20 minutes. that would be if you have a huge number of tables/views/etc...

Is your root catalog set up as default?

Hpitcockaa
Atome

I set up the logs and got three reports. The last line of the final report is: 

Jun 19 12:01:28.448 INFO 24276 Simba::ODBC::Connection::ExecuteCatalogFunction: SQLTables("hive\_metastore", NULL, "%", "TABLE,VIEW")

I'm not sure what a root catalogue is or how to change what it is set up as. Thank you for such a quick response. 

Étiquettes