Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Complex Sorting

PeterAP
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I'm having trouble sorting a data set to appear in the exact order I want it. It's not an easy sort and I've been trying to solve this for a while so thought it would be worth reaching out to the community!

1. Rank is the level of the person at Name 1.

2. Name 2 is the boss of Name 1. Except for Peter Parker who is the top boss.

I need to sort the source data to appear as in the Desired Output below, so if there is a multi-level hierarchy, I can clearly see it.

Can anyone help?

Desired Output.PNG

6 REPLIES 6
aatalai
13 - Pulsar

@PeterAP seems more like a joining problem, see workflow attached let me know if it helps

nb going forward attach data sets as texts or files to make it easier to input into alteryx 

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@PeterAP 
There is a great macro by @NicoleJohnson for this purpose if you need your flow to be dynamic.
https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Community-Gallery/Hierarchy-Generation-Macro/ta-p/880709

0417-PeterAP.PNG

aatalai
13 - Pulsar

@Qiu didn't know that existed, everyday is a school day

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@aatalai 
Agree on that 😁

PeterAP
8 - Asteroid

@Qiu This worked great, thank you. I had to change a tool in the macro to change from count_nonblanks to count all and add on to the workflow to structure it a more more useable format for my use case and developed another iterative macro to strip out lines where the top layers of the hierarchy were no needed, but i got there.

Thanks so much for your help as this macro saved me a lot of time.

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@PeterAP 
Thank you for letting me know it works. 😁

Labels