Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Column search

vganapathy
6 - Meteoroid

Good Morning expertise users, 

Being a new bee to Alteryx, I am working on a workflow build for exceptions management. We get rejections on our report submission if one or multiple mandatory columns fail the validation due to blank fields. 

In the attached example sheet,

scenario 1

I have the error fields column which has the column header name where there is no data. I am looking to go to that column, check if it is blank or #ERR (some of the fields will get populated with this). If that is the case, then mark it as Yes in the New exception column. Example in the first record, Instrument classification field is blank as per the error field. I would like to go and check the Instrument classification column to see if it is blank or #ERR. If it is the case, then want to populate Yes under the new exception column. 

scenario 2

In the second line, its a different scenario where we will get multiple column header name appearing in the error fields and will have to check those columns for the same criteria as mentioned in scenario 1. 

Note: I have simplified the examples and in the daily files, we have 203 columns with more than 6k rows on average. 

Any help is much appreciated as I couldnt find anything similar posted in our community. 

Thank you so much. 

Vijay

8 REPLIES 8
mgaronson
11 - Bolide

Suggest a transpose, New Exception field formula and transpose back to original format and filter on New Exception 

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@vganapathy one way of doing this

image.png

vganapathy
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks Boldie. Its working fine. :)

vganapathy
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks Binuacs. Its working fine. Can I also ask if new exceptions is yes, then filter the new exceptions, attach it to email and distribute please?

binuacs
20 - Arcturus
vganapathy
6 - Meteoroid

Good Morning and Happy Friday Binuacs,

Apologies for the delay reply as I got caught up. Thank you so much for your help. Really appreciate it. just one quick thing though, instead of a table format, how can I get the data as an excel attachment and attach it to the email. Also, if there are no new exceptions, is there a way to send the email stating no new exceptions please?

Thank you once again for your kind assistance. 

Regards

Vijay

binuacs
20 - Arcturus
vganapathy
6 - Meteoroid

Apologies for the delay. Thank you so so much for the solution Binuacs. It is working like a charm. Really appreciate it. 

Labels