Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Chained Apps in Gallery - Displaying Results from App1

rbasaria
7 - Meteor

Hello all. I have been searching around and found some solutions adjacent to what I am trying to accomplish, but not quite.

I have 2 apps chained together. The first app produces outputs that are then utilized in the second app. Some of the outputs from APP1 produce lists that become dropdowns or check boxes in APP2. APP2 also has text input options available to the user. This is where I am having a difficult time.

I would like to display a table on screen in between APP1 and APP2. The table has data that is formatted in a specific way (representing percentages and dollars, with symbols for those types). The user needs to be able to view this data in order to determine if any overwrites (text box inputs) need to be done before APP2 runs. APP2 provides text boxes for the user to overwrite these values.

The values aren't exactly overwritten...if there is any user input, the original value is retained and moved, and the user input value then replaces the original value in its original field. 

The table wouldn't need to have any interaction from the user, and does not affect APP2 in anyway, it just needs to be displayed between APP1 and APP2 in order for the user to make decisions on how to proceed.

I've been able to run it from the yxwz file, and APP1 can produce a PDF, YXDB, whatever file type that opens with the APP2 interface, so I can view those values before proceeding with APP2, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get this data to display in between the apps in the gallery.

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
gautiergodard
13 - Pulsar

Hey @rbasaria 

Sounds like a cool use case. 

You can try this approach by using a browse tool after the data stream where the table you want shown is generated: 

Go into the interface designer settings and select the browse tool that you wanted to display the results. Attaching a macro where this was done successfully in a similar by different use case:Solved: Re: Output Results not showing from .yxwz - Alteryx Community

gautiergodard_0-1666879632676.png

rbasaria
7 - Meteor

Thanks for the reply! I see where you are going here, and while it does work for that situation, it does not display the results of this table in between the chained apps. The interface for APP2 appears on screen in the gallery, but the results from the Browse tool do not.

Some other options I have tried are report tools to render the table to a PDF, output tool to output a YXDB or Excel table. Seems that no matter what is done, once the app is loaded into the gallery, the only thing that will display on screen is the interface for APP2. 

I could create a work-around that shows each record in the table as a check box or something similar, but that is clunky and I am sure would confuse users.

Labels