Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Cannot use Input Tool and Connect In-DB tool to connect to the same databaat the same time

vball
7 - Meteor

I am able to use multiple Connect In-DB tools without any error. However, I found out that I cannot use Connect In-DB tool and Input Data tool at the same time to connect to the database. Once I add an Input Data tool to the workflow, the Input Data tool can run and get data just fine but all Connect In-DB tools show an error and cannot get data. (I guess it is sort of meaningless to use both Connect In-DB and Input Data tool in one workflow and I should just stick with one. But it would be good to know why this is an issue.)

I am using Alteryx Designer version 2022.1.1.30961

Here is an example of the workflow and error message:

vball_0-1665447205108.png

3 REPLIES 3
milos_bijelic
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @vball , 

You definitely should be able to do both in the same workflow. The only difference between an In-DB input tool and the regular Input tool is whether the data is returned over the network. In-DB does not return the data, it get executed on the DB engine and stored on a staging table. The regular input tool will execute the query using your local processing and return the results of the query onto your computer (Designer). 

The error your getting seems to be related to your DB Drivers. I'd recommend reinstalling the associated ODBC drivers as per this thread

Best,

Milos

vball
7 - Meteor

Hi @milos_bijelic Thank you. I found that thread too and even left a comment haha. But sounds like that is the only possible reason/solution. I will have our IT team reinstall the Oracle client for me. I seem to need a different type of Oracle client in order to pull data into PowerBI anyway so hopefully I can get both drivers at the same time.

milos_bijelic
Alteryx
Alteryx

@vball Oh hahaha, great minds think alike! Shouldn't be a problem to have multiple ODBC Drivers installed. The drown down should let you pick which version / type you want to use for the connection 

Labels