Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Can two workflows connect to a single .yxdb at the same time?

Brendan
6 - Meteoroid

We are using yxdb files stored in a common folder as a single source for data but I get an error when two users are connecting to the same yxdb at the same time. Is there a way to prevent this error?

6 REPLIES 6
david_fetters
11 - Bolide

We only have this issue with CSVs, but try setting the YXDB files to read only through windows.

bharti_dalal
10 - Fireball

Hi @Brendan,

We usually do not get any errors, while using .yxdb files. by multiple users. but if you are still getting an error, please share the error  (Screen shot).

Brendan
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Bharti

Here is a screen shot of the error. I am actually not 100% sure that it is when just two workflows are connecting simultaneously as I just tried to recreate the error and it took several tries. But as more and more users are accessing this data I have noticed this error message more frequently. Just trying to trouble shoot how I can prevent it.

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

I've only ever got that error when the YXDB in question is being written to at the time I'm trying to open it (which makes sense - you can't open something that's in the middle of being created, or re-created as the case may be).

Brendan
6 - Meteoroid

Is there the equivalent of read uncommitted or another workaround? the issue is we have scheduled several workflows that connect to it which fail (I guess) if it is being overwritten. Can you use a combination of any tools in the workflow (detour? block until done? run command?) to force the tool to re-query if it fails?

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

When a YXDB is being written to, your workflow (or you) cannot open it.  No way around that, that I know of.

There are ways to run workflows sequentially, so one won't start until another one finishes completely (including all outputs).  The Run Command Event will do this. There's a set of "Runner macros" as well with a lot of great functionality, within the crew macro pack (search on "crew macros" and you'll get a lot of great stuff).

Labels