Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Can Alteryx create a column with Fractional values?

TGow
5 - Atom

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone happened to know if it's possible to turn a column containing decimal values into fractional values in Alteryx?

I have a dataset with several hundred individuals. Each of these individuals owns units in a partnership which are represented as a % of the total partnership units. Unfortunately, the accounting software I'm using requires a numerator and denominator figure, hence the need for fractions! 

Historically, I've taken the client data and converted it using Excel formulas which becomes my workflow starting point. In the attached example, you can see it's just the following formula: "=TEXT(C4/$C$22,"#/######")" followed by a quick =LEFT/=RIGHT to pull my numerator and denominator.

I was hoping to figure out how to get the fraction set up in Alteryx so I can integrate this external step into the workflow.

Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2
T_Willins
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Hi @TGow,

Is there a reason not to use the Units Held as the numerator and the total Units Held as the denominator?  Your Excel fraction formula rounds to the nearest millionth, so you can take the actual amounts, multiply by 100,000 and round to the nearest integer to get a fraction.  See attached.

Create Fraction.png

TGow
5 - Atom

Hi T_Willins, thanks for the reply!

The accounting software I'm ultimately importing my work into will not accept decimals in the numerator or denominator. It's very annoying as I can't just run everything off of a denominator of 100. As you'll see from that example workbook, both need to be full numbers. Thankfully, the software will accept a length of up to twenty digits which is why I'm not too fussed about, say, row 19 of my example being "56584/892809"

Edit: I've taken a look at your update and your workflow is a very good way to go about it and, for the purposes of what I'm looking to do, should work fine in the software!

Labels