Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Broken? Output Tool

PeteLacz
8 - Asteroid

Just moved to Version: 2022.1.1.30961 (Previously on 2021)

Workflow originally built in v.2021, rolled over into 2022 then started encountering issues.

1) Is it just me, or is the Output Tool dynamic file name functionality broken? The only feature I am able to manipulate into working is the "Change Entire File Path" configuration. This requires that append a column with my file name and tab name to the data and rely on the output tool to remove it upon saving.

1.a) the key thing being here that a tab name is required to be input, and that seems to be the underlying cause of the issue when using other configurations like change or append file name from field. 

PeteLacz_0-1669833691522.png

2) Is it just me, or is anyone else's designer and/or gallery stepping on itself when trying to save multiple tabs to a single excel workbook? Block until Done is not resolving it, parallel block until done is not resolving it, and time delay macro's sort of work but I have seen them fail. 

I am unable to post the underlying data and workflow due to it containing sensitive information. I continue to test for a reliable solution. 

15 REPLIES 15
ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

For one of your workflows that has problems, is the AMP engine on under Workflow Configuration > Runtime > Use AMP Engine?

Chris

PeteLacz
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for the inquiry. I have AMP turned off at the moment because the Gallery admin has it disabled for now.

PanPP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @PeteLacz,

Can you create a sample WF with fake data I can troubleshoot?

PeteLacz
8 - Asteroid

I can try. I have been unable to replicate it with text input. Replicating it with simple excel files also failed. I might actually need to create several tables of varying sizes with short and long data sets to get closer to what my workflow is actually producing. 

PeteLacz
8 - Asteroid

I've had no success replicating the issue with random data. Still experimenting. I continue to experience this on other workflows I originally built in 2021.1 though.

PanPP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @PeteLacz 

I would recommend turning on AMP Engine to see if this issue resolves itself. 

I would recommend reaching out to support@alteryx.com and confirm if this is a bug or not.

Would you be able to just upload the workflow without any data so I can take a look at the workflow itself?

PeteLacz
8 - Asteroid

Here is an example of an Error, I've had to redact name and file paths.

PeteLacz_0-1670960743560.png

PeteLacz_1-1670961332472.png

PanPP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

I would recommend to re-configure the block until done tools starting with a brand new workflow.

The order you drag the tools onto the canvas will matter when processing the records and output files. (if you hit ctrl f you will be able to see a ID next to each tool).

Steps to follow:

1) Configure most of the workflow in a newly created workflow

2) Drag down block until done tools

3) Configure the output tools 

This should take care of the order of tools in the canvas. 

Hope this helps. 

PeteLacz
8 - Asteroid

Thank you Pan. The issue I have with creating a brand new workflow is that I cannot then use it to replace the file in the gallery which has all the version control and runtime audit trail documentation tagged to it (Let me know if I am doing something wrong here). The gallery for whatever reason won't let you take a new workflow and save over one in the gallery as a new version. It will just create a new workflow in the collection with the same name. Then I would start having duplicates of workflows sitting in our Collection. This continues to be an unacceptable issue for me. I have contacted support, they've pitched some solutions. Like I said, the best solution was our own which is a time delay iterative macro. But even that is not guaranteed because your guessing on the time needed for the background process to finish. A jerry rigged solution for this should not be necessary. But I continue to try new things.

Labels