Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Best ways to get a question answered quickly

Deano478
12 - Quasar

I'm posting this here as I notice a lot on the community that people will post questions expecting fast answers without giving any context so below I have listed a hopefully useful set of steps that I find would be useful for people to get effective and timely answers:

1. Be Clear and Concise

• Describe Your Issue: Clearly state the problem you're facing. Avoid unnecessary jargon.
  • Provide Context: Include relevant background information, such as what you're trying to achieve and why.
  • Specify Your Environment: Mention your Alteryx version, operating system, and any other relevant technical details.

Example:

Bad Question:

"My workflow isn't working. Can someone help?"

Good Question:

"I'm using Alteryx Designer 2021.3 on Windows 10. My workflow fails at the Join tool with the error 'Mismatched field types'. I'm trying to join two datasets based on a common field, but one is string and the other is numeric. How can I resolve this?"

2. Share Your Work

• Upload Screenshots: Include images of your workflow, error messages, or relevant data to provide visual context.
  • Attach Sample Data: Share a sample of your data, if possible. Ensure sensitive information is removed or anonymized.
  • Provide Workflow Files: Attach your .yxmd or .yxzp files so others can see exactly what you're working with.

Example:

Bad Question:

"My data isn't joining correctly. What should I do?"

Good Question:

"I’ve attached my workflow and a sample of my datasets. The Join tool is supposed to match 'Customer ID', but I keep getting unmatched records. Here’s a screenshot of the configuration and the error message."

3. Be Specific About Errors

• Detail Error Messages: Include the exact error message and code you’re seeing.
  • Describe Steps Taken: Mention what you’ve tried so far to solve the issue and the results of those attempts.

Example:

Bad Question:

"I keep getting an error when I run my workflow."

Good Question:

"I receive the error 'Tool ID 23: Record limit exceeded' when running my workflow. I've tried increasing the memory allocation, but the error persists. The workflow is supposed to process a large dataset of 500,000 records. Any suggestions?"

4. Ask Specific Questions

• Focus on One Issue at a Time: It’s easier for community members to help when you focus on a single issue rather than multiple unrelated problems.
  • Clarify Your Goal: Make sure your question aligns with what you’re trying to achieve. If you need a workaround, mention that.

Example:

Bad Question:

"How do I use Alteryx?"

Good Question:

"How can I use the Summarize tool to calculate the total sales per region? I’ve tried grouping by region and summing the sales field, but my output seems incorrect. What might I be doing wrong?"

5. Be Patient and Polite

• Give It Time: Remember that community members are helping in their free time. Allow some time for responses.
  • Express Gratitude: A simple thank you goes a long way. It encourages others to help and fosters a positive community spirit.

Example:

Bad Question:

"Why is no one helping me?"

Good Question:

"Thank you in advance for your help! I appreciate the time and effort from everyone in the community."

5 REPLIES 5
Raj
16 - Nebula

@Deano478 
thank you for posting this.

alexnajm
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@Deano478 love this!!!

apathetichell
19 - Altair

This needs to be pinned to the top of this forum.

Deano478
12 - Quasar

I'm going to bump this so it stays at the top unless there's a way for an Admin to pin it?

Deano478
12 - Quasar

Again trying to keep this post relevant so i'm just tryna bump it again so people can see it and get use from it

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels