Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Apply the same workflow rules for each excel file

soncoku
9 - Comet

Greetings everyone.

Sorry for the confusing title but I didn't knew how to describe my problem in one sentence.

I am importing multiple excel files using the wildcard. 
As you can see from the screenshot of the workflow I am using some formula, data clensing, datetime ,select etc.

If I only import one file I get the desired result.

But when I import multiple files formula, data clensing, datetime ,select etc, don't seem to apply the way I was expecting it to.

works only for the first file and then not for the others...

Any ideas on how I can apply these rules for each input when I'm importing multiple files using the wildcard or if there is another way on how I can achieve this?

4 REPLIES 4
KK12
7 - Meteor

Hi

You can create a macro for one file and apply the same to all the directory where all the files are located. You'll get the desired output.

Thanks,

Kirti

soncoku
9 - Comet

@KK12 

hat sounds great but could you send me some instructions on how I could do that.

I'd appreciate it a lot. I'm new to alteryx.

KK12
7 - Meteor

Hi

Please refer the attached zip which contains

1. macro workflow- Link the input to your input file. Make sure that the current configuration of Action tool remains in the same manner (i.e, in "replace string" keep the location upto the file name only and with relative referencing. And then apply the complete workflow that you have shared after "input tool" and before "Macro output" tool.

2. Final output workflow- Link the directory tool with the folder containing all the files.

Let me know if you need further clarification

echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

See attached for a batch macro example! 

You'd need to update the input data tool to point to the folder with the files with a wildcard.

You'll also need to update the batch macro to include any manipulations and functionalities you want. You can update the input tool in the macro, then add any of the additional tools after. You'll need to ensure the action tool has your path selected for both File and replace a specific string.

echuong1_0-1592915004035.png

Labels