Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Analytic App - Alteryx Academy

CSmith16
8 - Asteroid

Hello, I have downloaded the workflow from the academy lesson Using Analytic Apps, I proceed to input a drop down tool and an action tool as per the video but, in the video, they did not configure the drop down at all only the action tool. Then they proceed to click the wizard interface to run the app. I can't follow the video instructions when they do not show the configuration for the drop down tool. When running the wizard, I should see the various airlines as the drop down but instead, I see data types. I have restarted the video several times to see if I have just missed something and I have not from the looks of it. Why include the workflow in the resources if you are not going to show the whole process on the academy lesson, how am I supposed to learn the process? I have just started a new role at my organization and need to learn Alteryx to perform my job duties and have never used it before so it seems odd to introduce new users to analytic apps then not show them how to configure the tool being used for the analytic app itself. The drop down is supposed to be populated with the airline names but it doesn't on my end, they just show the finished product in the video at no point within the video did they show how to configure the drop down tool correctly, let alone at all they skipped right over it to the action tool.

Screenshot 2023-06-07 131846.png

Screenshot 2023-06-07 132156.png

CSmith16_0-1686159537972.png

Screenshot 2023-06-07 132222.png

Screenshot 2023-06-07 131810.png

    

9 REPLIES 9
acarter881
12 - Quasar

Hello, @CSmith16.

Drop Downs can be very confusing. I attached a yxzp that shows you an example of how to perform this.

The design pattern I use is very useful for getting the appropriate fields into the format for a Drop Down tool.

acarter881_0-1686178126519.png

ArnaldoSandoval
12 - Quasar

Hi @CSmith16 

There is a PDF file attached to the lesson video with more details; Have you look at this PDF file?

HTH

Arnaldo02-Academy-Resources-01.png

CSmith16
8 - Asteroid

Hi @ArnaldoSandoval,

I just took a look at the transcript, and it does offer more information, but it does not show the configuration of the drop-down tool still. I am meeting with the Alteryx account manager today at my organization so hopefully I can figure out what I need to do.

CSmith16
8 - Asteroid

Hey @acarter881,

Thanks for your response and the attached packaged workflow. I am just confused as to how they got it to work in the video as I did not see any configuration but, I will most definitely take a look at that as I am needing to learn as much as possible, so I appreciate your response! So, adding a summarize and a cross tab tool helps make things easier, would not have ever guessed that. And I also see a Dynamic Rewrite tool? I never have even heard of that one yet. Thanks again!

Fwu202201
5 - Atom

Thank you for the posting. I had the same question as you. The sample workflow posted by @acarter881 is very helpful.

ArnaldoSandoval
12 - Quasar

Hi @Fwu202201 

IF you look at my screenshot, above the Transcript option, there is a link to download the Workflow, as well as on the lesson itself you can download the solution workflow. This particular scenario, the workflow and the transcript are available.

hth

Arnaldo

riteshchoudhury
7 - Meteor

This is one of the Very confusing tutorial.. The working of Dropdown tool is a mystery in the tutorial.. Hope someone in Alteryx sees and helps the users.. How do the dropdown populated.. what are the configurations required.. I was deep into learning Alteryx.. but I am stuck now.1.PNG

riteshchoudhury
7 - Meteor

hi,  You did great to find a workaround.. but This is not the ideal solution. if, users need to do these lot of adjustment for using /connecting a data to a tool then, there is something wrong.missing in the tool. hope someone in Alteryx takes a note of it.

riteshchoudhury
7 - Meteor

Hello, after extensive research on the functionality of this tool, I’ve gained a decent understanding of it and would like to share my insights.

If we need to fill a dropdown menu with data from a specific column, the dropdown tool requires an external database with fields labeled ‘NAME’ and ‘VALUE’.

The solution involves a two-step process. The first step is to create a database that contains the necessary data for the dropdown. The second step is to utilize this database in the dropdown tool.

I’ve included my workflow for your reference. It may appear complex due to the numerous comments and sections, but I hope it proves useful.

If you find this information helpful, please consider marking it as a solution. Thank you.

Labels