Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Alteryx flow running stops at 80%

kirstenxu
5 - Atom

Dear all,

I am having troubles with Alteryx not completing my flow, but rather stopping at the last icon at 80% and not moving much further, or movign very very slowly (1% in 30min).

The input data is large, but not so large that it should be that slow. Anyone can help me out here - what am I doing wrong?

Best,

Kirsten

5 REPLIES 5
chadanaber
7 - Meteor

Are you outputting to a database at any point?  If so, are you using a bulk method for inserting into the database, or using the standard drivers?  If you are using standard drivers, that can slow down the process significantly.

kirstenxu
5 - Atom

I am ot outputting to any database, and I have done similar flows before - it is a fairly simple join tool, but somehow it just runs extremely extremey slow.

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @kirstenxu

Without a sample data set I can't definitively say what's causing the slow-down, but @MarqueeCrew has posted in a few different places that one of the biggest differences between Join and Find/Replace tools is that Join first has to sort; but Find/Replace does an in-place replace without sorting first.

Based on his testing, for very large unsorted data sets, find/replace is faster, so it may be worth trying that.

The other things you can do are:

• use a select tool to strip out all the data you don't need before the join - that significantly reduces the memory footprint, and increases the speed
  • Use an auto-field tool to make the types as small as possible - again, smaller data = faster
  • Finally, if the FindReplace method doesn't speed you up, you can try pre-sorting the data and see if this makes it quicker.

You can find one of Mark's posts on Join vs. Find/Replace here: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Inspire-2017-Buzz/Inspire-Tips-amp-Tricks-Calling-out-our-users-to-...

Hopefully this helps - if so, would you mind marking this as solved - if not, feel free to reply with some mocked-up test data in an alteryx flow, and we can work together as a community to get you to a solution!

DanHall
5 - Atom

Were you able to find a solution to your issue?  We've run into a similar issue this week, where an existing workflow writing to a TDE output with a normal run time around 45 minutes total began clocking in the 2-4 hour range.  The majority of the process time is tied to the writing of the TDE output once it is >80% complete.  As I write this, my TDE has gone from 94% an hour ago to 97%.  The truly baffling part is that the task manager shows the CPU idle process in the 70-97% range and the Tableau Data Engine running in the mid to high 20% range.

j_acon
9 - Comet

Check you are not joining null values, I have seen null joins that make the workflow go on forever.

Labels