Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Alteryx Designer on VDI vs Desktop

sharm22
5 - Atom

Greetings! We have requirement to use Alteryx designer and Python for around 10 power users and our office uses VDI. We are evaluating the h/w cost of hosting the designer and python on either Windows Desktop or on VDI, certainly we are more inclined to use VDI given its benefits of working from home.
I understand Alteryx Designer supports both persistent and non-persistent VDI.

However, given the memory spec provided by Alteryx for Citrix VDI (https://help.alteryx.com/20221/designer/system-requirements). I am afraid if my VDI will be far expensive solution when compared to it on a desktop PC.

Reaching out for guidance on vdi spec required for 10 users and will they be achievable at about the same desktop cost.

Please excuse if this is not the right forum to discuss these type of queries.

3 REPLIES 3
apathetichell
18 - Pollux

@sharm22  - you should probably talk to your Alteryx rep - but TBH I'm a bit confused here - you don't have an issue with $50,000 in Alteryx licenses (10 license cost) - but have an issue with the Citrix VDI cost? And your team already uses VDI - but not with 16gb of ram?

I also do not believe Alteryx supports non-persistent VDI - at least not easily. Are we talking interruptible instances with persistent memory - or totally ephemeral instances? I cannot imagine running Alteryx on the later.

Alteryx requires ram to be effective. It processes data in memory. If you have substantial workflows - even 16gb of ram can be difficult to use.

Inactive User
Not applicable

At times the estimation for High performing VDI could be expensive say 4-6 times than the powerful desktop. Better to consult Alteryx but not sure if they’ll be able to guide on the high spec VDI cost.

Thank You

sharm22
5 - Atom

Thank You @apathetichell . Much appreciated. Your understanding is correct. Probably will consult Alteryx team

Yes we are VDI users but for Alteryx and Python planned to have them deployed separately on a high config vdi, which is costing more than the Alteryx license by 2 times. Maybe the way we understood the Alteryx vdi specification could be wrong from the actual requirement. Something that we have to check

Labels