Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Alteryx Analytic App - Unable to translate alias

chukleswk
11 - Bolide

I have created an analytic app that I am trying to running on our Alteryx server.

It uploaded to our Alteryx Server without any error and I can run it without any error but when I make it public and pass the link to someone else who has access to the server, it errors out with an Unable to translate the alias for the Database connection. I have included the connection under the "Manage workflow assets" when I save the workflow. I have access to the DB that is in the connection and those that have the link that have received the error do not. I thought by packaging the connection in there that they wouldn't have to have read access to the DB since the connection is setup on the server. Am I wrong in making this assumption?

4 REPLIES 4
DavidSkaife
13 - Pulsar

Hi @chukleswk 

Your assumption is almost right; it depends on the version of Alteryx/Server you're running.

This article explains it in detail but essentially if you're running version 2020.4 or prior simply packaging the connection (which you should do regardless of version) within the app is sufficient, but if you're on 2021.1 or higher the connection needs to be added to the gallery and shared with all users who will need to run the app (as well as packaging the connection within the app).

chukleswk
11 - Bolide

@DavidSkaife That looks to be the issue. I guess my only question is that once the gallery connection is shared then that person (if they have Alteryx Designer) has the ability to build a flow that queries against that DB, correct?

DavidSkaife
13 - Pulsar

Hi @chukleswk 

Yes that's correct, but only if they do the following steps below on their copy of Designer. If they are not connected to the Gallery via their Designer then they won't be able to see the connection.

DavidSkaife_0-1661344280565.png

Edit: just found this as well:

DavidSkaife_1-1661344493233.png

jjoerger
7 - Meteor

We are on 2022.1.  We are looking at using Gallery Connections in our company.  The application was created and published to the Gallery with the connection included as an asset.  I created the connection on the Gallery.  I created a custom group which included an Active Directory group.  I shared the connection with that group.  My thought was this would work for all non-Designer / Gallery only users to run applications. When tested by a non-Designer / Gallery only user they obtain the "unable to translate alias" error.  My goal is to make use of the Active Directory group as we have too many users to being sharing individually.  Is what I'm trying to accomplish possible?

We use service accounts with passwords and have several sql server connections in use.  My goal is to implement some sort of shared connection so that if a connection string or a password changes, we can implement this change relatively easily instead of having to change all workflows and republish them.

Labels