Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Alternative to chained-apps is needed!

romanhudaj11
5 - Atom

Chained apps work fine for small projects. However, If I have a UI with multiple tabs and I want the next tab's list boxes to update based on the previous tab's selections in list boxes, having to split the app up into multiple different workflows is very annoying.

1. For one, I can't save my entire selections made across all apps. I would have to do it individually. 

2.  I create Alteryx apps for the company I work for. I have to input database tables with millions of records, as a result, I need to use the IN-DB tools to avoid making a copy of the data into the Alteryx workflow. But If I want a chained app, I need to output the data from the 1st and input it into the second. I can't write to the database I am working with (do not have company permission) so I can't make a copy there. So this defeats the purpose of using IN-DB tools

My Suggestion (I think a lot of people would benefit from this):

It would be nice if I can group the UI and other data tools I want into a container. And then have the ability to pause a second container that contains the second group of UI elements and other tools (that would be in the second chained app) until the data from the first container is available. In other words, your able to create the chained-apps from before, but all in one workflow and all in one interface. 

I suppose it would be similar to the develop tool called "block until done" but it would also apply to UI elements and actions.

This could also let you update UI elements on the spot (which could not be done before). For example, being able to fill a list box question-input with the result of a workflow. 

Thanks for reading! Let me know if you have any suggestions for my specific problem!

1 REPLY 1
SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @romanhudaj11  - thanks for the post, what you say makes sense.    A few thoughts on your post:

a) there have been a few initiatives mentioned from stage at Inspire which are similar to this - so you're asking for something that the Alteryx team are thinking hard about - for example @CassC talked about something similar last year.

b) although you've posted this in the Discussion area - it feels like your idea will get more visibility and traction if you post this in the Ideas section - that's where the PMs generally go to see what features are being requested most frequently.

Keep these kind of ideas coming - they will only make the product better!

Labels