Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Aligning Texts in two different Columns when they 'Match'

Rumanais
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

I have a set of data with customer names that were changed few times over a period of time and in the Columns "Old name" and "New name". I have all the Old Names and the New names but only the latest name change date. I tried to do different types of sorting, but could not line up the names that are the same for both Old and New name. I am not sure why.

Can someone help me build a solution where the Old name and the New names that are the same will align (next to each other) and the names do not match can go anywhere. 

I am attaching the sample data set. In this data the names highlighted in blue and green in "Old name" and "New name" columns are the exact same names and should be in the same line next to each other.

Thank you

6 REPLIES 6
gaoa
11 - Bolide

Hi @Rumanais use Join tool - same names are in J output anchor (and the names that do not match are in L and R)

gaoa_0-1679687418993.png

Rumanais
8 - Asteroid

Thank you gaoa! I would need to keep the unmatched names also in both fields.

gaoa
11 - Bolide

Hi @Rumanais added a union tool to bring data back together:

gaoa_0-1679690987363.png

Rumanais
8 - Asteroid

Thank you gaoa! This would work, but since my data set is large, is there a way to remove the rows with the null values? I am thinking may be adding two new columns after the sort, 'New Old Name' and 'New New Name'.... 

Yoshiro_Fujimori
15 - Aurora

@Rumanais ,

I interpret your requirement is to get the below data for each customer each day;

1. the names at the beginning and the end of the day

2. the names changed during the day

So I designed a workflow to put all the names together, and check the count of the names to differentiate above 1. and 2.

Input

Yoshiro_Fujimori_0-1679712134318.png

Workflow

Yoshiro_Fujimori_1-1679712150844.png

Output-1 (Names changed during the day)

Yoshiro_Fujimori_2-1679712163956.png

Output-2 (Names at the beginning and the end of the day)

Yoshiro_Fujimori_3-1679712176368.png

Does it work for your case?

Rumanais
8 - Asteroid

Hello Yoshiro_Fujimori,

Thank you for putting detail thought into the problem.  It is actually more simpler then that. The expected action should have been achieved through excel, but I cannot tell why the excel is not producing the result. 

However, I am attaching the problem and the expected outcome in the excel file again.

Hope this helps.

Labels