Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Action tool breaks detour tool in macro when using AMP?

Adriankp
8 - Asteroid

I have a relatively big macro (approx. 1200 - 1300 tools), where I used several detours. The detours are controlled by checkboxes and radio buttons, and I have recently discovered that they seem to be causing some issue when running the macro with AMP Engine enabled.

Running the macro as a workflow works just fine, but if I run the macro inside another workflow with AMP enabled and have any action tools connected the detour tools, they give no output. Everything up until the detour tool works just fine, but no matter the configuration of the action tool/detour tool, the result is "no data available", which breaks the entire macro.

The only way to get data to actually flow through the detour tools is to either

a.) Remove all action tools connected to the detour tools

b.) Run the workflow without AMP enabled.

c.) Disable all containers following the detour tool.

I'm guessing something down the line connected to the detour end breaks the tool, but I cannot figure out what it could be, since I'm not receiving any specific errors from Alteryx. I am unfortunately not able to share my macro here, but is this an issue anyone has encountered and resolved earlier?

Thanks in advance.

7 REPLIES 7
gabrielvilella
14 - Magnetar

There are a few things that still does not work properly with AMP. I encourage you to use the regular engine for this particular workflow. To solve this you would have to contact Alteryx support - support@alteryx.com

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@Adriankp ,

Hang on for updates from the Alteryx AMP product team.  I'll tag them @TonyaS , but I think that there is also a TAG option on the discussion post of "AMP" that I'd recommend.  You bring up an AMP macro issue here as well as compatibility of running either E1/AMP or AMP/E1 macros and workflows. 

Aside from the AMP issue posted, I think that a macro containing so many tools is a potential risk for your organization.  Maintenance and testing on that macro must be exhausting.  Because you have so many detours, I imagine that whole sections of the workflow get turned on/off depending upon the controls within the macro.  A few of my friends and I had a lengthy discussion about workflow organization, you might find it interesting:

Please consider posting or discussing the workflow with us.

Alteryx ACES:  @Aguisande @grossal @Deanna @Hollingsworth @T_Willins @DavidP 

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
TonyaS
Alteryx
Alteryx

Thanks @MarqueeCrew I missed this one, and yes the AMP label would definitely have flagged it to my attention. 

@Adriankp ,

Thank you for using AMP Engine and providing feedback. Every piece of feedback helps us in our efforts to continue to improve the AMP Engine. 

What version of Designer are you running that you are seeing this on? 

We did fix a defect related to Detour with Macros on AMP for the 2021.3 Release, so I would like to understand if this could be the same issue or if it is something new. Definitely a good idea to go through support as Mark suggested as well. 

Tonya Smith
Sr. Technical Product Manager, cloud App Builder
TonyaS
Alteryx
Alteryx

Great video @MarqueeCrew  Thanks for sharing!

Tonya Smith
Adriankp
8 - Asteroid

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the insight! Great video. Maintenance and testing is easier this way in my opinion, compared to using multiple layers of macros. Everything is well documented and grouped for easy visibility. All our macros follow the same standard layout, so bringing someone else up to speed is usually very quick work.

The detours actually only affect small parts of the workflow, so to work around the issue I've now instead used a combination of filter and union tools with the constants set in the interface to split the data depending on choice.

I appreciate the speedy reply!

Adriankp
8 - Asteroid

Hi Tonya,

I am on version 2021.3.2.

TonyaS
Alteryx
Alteryx

@Adriankp 

Ok, so you would have the fix for the prior issue with Detour and AMP.  

It would be helpful for us to get enough information to try to fix this additional issue you are experiencing if you would go through Support to get a support case started. 

Then it would get escalated to us and when we fix it they would report back to you what Release the fix will be in. 

Tonya Smith
Labels