Alteryx Designer Cloud Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Cloud.

IS it possible to connect to my Snowflake DW in Azure and Alteryx hosted on AWS?

preethisisaac
8 - Asteroid

My data is on Snowflake DW hosted on Azure and I understand that Designer Cloud is on AWS /GCP.

Is it possible to connect to my Snowflake instance from Designer cloud.

what are the issues we will encounter ?

Can you help me with the steps for this connection.

What are the types of authentications available for this in Designer Cloud.

What are the cost involved when they are in separate Cloud Platforms.

Can you give a breakdown of the Ingress & Egress charge calculations if i am working with 50 GB data on a daily basis.

how is the monthly cost calculated, can you give in detail steps on the below :

Data transfer rate - 50 GB daily

Data transfer frequency:

Cloud provider pricing:

Is total Charges=>Hosting Charges + Ingress & Egress +Cloud Instance Charges?

Are there any other hidden charges?

IS it optimal to have both the snowflake DW and Designer cloud on same Cloud Platform.

IF so, what will eb charges taht we will encounter.

When will Designer Cloud be available in Azure?

When can I start migrating to Designer Cloud on AWS?

When can I start migrating to Designer Cloud on Azure?

Thanks,

Preethi Susan Isaac

6 REPLIES 6
Howard14
6 - Meteoroid

Hello,

It is possible to connect Designer Cloud on AWS/GCP to your Snowflake DW on Azure, but you may encounter issues due to the cross-cloud setup. Steps for connection and authentication options are available on the Designer Cloud website. Ingress/egress charges depend on the cloud providers. Monthly cost depends on data transfer rate/frequency, cloud provider pricing, and hosting/instance/ingress-egress charges. There may be hidden charges. Optimal setup is to have both on the same cloud platform. Charges vary based on the cloud provider. No official announcement yet on when Designer Cloud will be available on Azure.

My Centura Health

Best regard,

Howard14

nkuipers
Alteryx
Alteryx

Here are the relevant, top-level docs by product:

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Wow. these both look like bot responses. @nkuipers This is a pretty straight forward question. Designer Cloud is hosted by one hyperscaler - the DB is hosted by another. Can you connect via api or connector....

@preethisisaacAny chance you'd use Designer Desktop on a VM (you can't scheduled it) to connect cross cloud?

nkuipers
Alteryx
Alteryx

The original post consists of many different questions. The first response started by answering the basic question -- yes, it is possible to connect to Snowflake from Designer Cloud on AACP. It proceeded to take a stab at the other questions.

The steps for connecting to Snowflake were presented in the second response via a list of docs by product. I included multiple similar products for the potential benefit of future readers who search on connecting to Snowflake. These docs make it clear that there is a Snowflake connector that accepts both basic and OAuth authentication. See also the screenshots attached.

@preethisisaac does this help? If either @Howard14 or I have mis-construed your original post, please let us know!

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

To be clear - the question is can one connect to Snowflake in Azure from Cloud  Designer hosted in AWS. Your answer seems to say yes. 

nkuipers
Alteryx
Alteryx

That is correct. Here is the updated doc: https://help.alteryx.com/AAC/en/platform/connections/supported-connection-types/snowflake-connection...

See also screenshot, attached.