Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Connect Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Connect.
SOLVED

Relationship Data for Tableau Extract

Nate1
8 - Asteroid

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to get Connect to link a data set from DB to dashboard. I have an Alteryx Workflow uploaded to my company's gallery that takes data from Oracle and publishes a .tde to our Tableau Server using the publish to tableau server macro. That file is the data source for my dashboard. When I log into connect I see the Alteryx workflow but there is no relationship to the TDE that it output. Then when I find the dashboard, there's a link to the TDE but not the workflow that creates it or a link back to the database the data originates in. 

Is there something I am missing to create the link between the workflow and the data source in connect? Any requirements to link the two that I am missing?

Thanks,

Nate

9 REPLIES 9
AngelaO
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Thank you for posting.  Our team is investigating, and will have more information soon.

Customer Support Engineer
AngelaO
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@MattH

Customer Support Engineer
DavidM
Alteryx
Alteryx

@Nate1 can you please share more information on how your PublishToTDE macro is set up? I think there are some options that Connect does not support yet - like specifying Connectivity to Tableau server with full URL in the publish macro or reusing the existing Connection. I am always using the Connect with Server and Site option and is working nicely on my Connect env. Also, can you please let me know what version of Connect you use and what version of the Publish to Tableau macro?

David Matyas
Sales Engineer
Alteryx
Nate1
8 - Asteroid

@DavidM,

I was using a full URL, but I updated and am still not getting the connection between the workflow and the TDE. I know the connection to the server might look funny, but that is URL and there's no site name. If I can provide you with anything else to help troubleshoot please let me know.

Thanks!

Versions.

Publish to Tableau Server: 1.09.02

Connect: Connect 3.0

Alteryx Designer: 2018.1

Alteryx Server: 2018.1

Tableau Server: 2018.1

publish_connection.PNGpublish_output.PNG

DavidM
Alteryx
Alteryx
Can you please try removing the extra slash from the name of the server? Just leave tableau, no extra /
David Matyas
Sales Engineer
Alteryx
MattH
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Nate1

Data lineage for Tableau in Connect is set at the worksheet level as the worksheet uses defined datasources.  Dashboards should show up alongside worksheets as Connect assets, like the following:

connect1.jpg

Below in the lineage you can see the Tableau extract created is set as the input to the worksheet in Tableau.  The tde file I created, was done in Alteryx and the workflow uploaded to the Gallery.  So when I click the expand button (expand.jpg) in the tde image above, I can further view its lineage:

connect2.jpg

If you are building out your worksheets and dashboards through Tableau Desktop, I suggest looking at the following Help article: https://help.alteryx.com/connect/current/Administration/Lineage.htm?tocpath=Administer%7C_____12 under Lineage Requirements->Tableau Assets.

Thanks,

Matt

Nate1
8 - Asteroid

I was still having some problems with a different TDE not properly showing relationships. @DavidM showed me some more tricks to trouble shoot data coming from the connect loaders. Turns out Connect takes the Project Name from the field "Enter project name" even if you use the "Select project name" option in the Publish to Tableau Server macro.

No-Sass
8 - Asteroid

What were some of those "tricks"?

OndrejC
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @No-Sass ,

all these "tricks" should be already bundled into last stable release 19.3. If you still have some troubles pls contact customer support, they should be able to help you.

thx,

Ondrej