Alteryx Connect Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Connect.

How to refresh Alteryx Connect data for just one data source?

JoTP
8 - Asteroid

Hi

We have our data set up to run once a week to refresh our meta data. Sometimes our analysts have created new database entities that they would like to document. Is there any way that this can be updated in just that data source, rather than running the whole update (which takes 6-7 hours)?

4 REPLIES 4
joshuaburkhow
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi @JoTP 

I believe you should be able to run the loader and specify "Objects to load" and only specify what you want to load versus leaving it blank and it loads everything. 

Let us know if this works for you!

Joshua Burkhow - Alteryx Ace | Global Alteryx Architect @PwC | Blogger @ AlterTricks
VojtechT
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi guys,

I think that what @JoTP is trying to achieve is a "additive load", while @joshuaburkhow proposes "partial load". The issue with partial load is that it deletes everything from Connect that has been created before and is not part of this load.

Example: @JoTP loads these 3 databases all the time - aaa,bbb,ccc. That takes several hours. Then, somebody created database ddd and JoTP wants to load only this ddd database without refreshing aaa,bbb,ccc. If he sets ddd as the objects to load, then all the aaa,bbb,ccc databases will be removed and only ddd will be visible in Connect. That is not his goal. 

Unfortunately Connect does not currently support this use case. 

Some clients are using a workaround that for each subset of objects they create a separate data source. So in JoTP's case, the ddd database would look like that it's on a different machine than the others. Which is not acceptable, I assume. 

Vojta T., PM for Data Connectors
Try our Beta data connectors at https://bit.ly/3Ae8HgY
joshuaburkhow
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Thanks @VojtechT this is good info. 

Joshua Burkhow - Alteryx Ace | Global Alteryx Architect @PwC | Blogger @ AlterTricks
JoTP
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for your reply @VojtechT . You are right, this doesn't meet my requirements, as I want to leave the old data sources as is while refreshing the new ones.