Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Connect Knowledge Base

Definitive answers from Connect experts.

Welcome to Alteryx Connect

OndrejC
Alteryx
Alteryx
Created

Welcome to Alteryx Connect a state-of-the-art Data Catalog with a social twist. Alteryx Connect is a part of Alteryx self-service data analytics platform. It allows analysts to discover, access and share their company`s information assets like never before. In other words, Alteryx connect willmake any of your corporate data just few clicks away from anyone, it will connect people around data and it will be the place to capture your corporate data knowledge. So how to start using it.

Get ready and load it

Alteryx Connect is an enterprise data catalog that harvests, stores and indexes informationabout your data sources. Itloads and copies the metadata into its repository. When you install the Alteryx Connect 1st thing you need to do is to populate it with relevant content and build initial catalog. This can be easily done by using Alteryx workflows delivered with your Connect, that will allow you to connect to a number of data sources to extract the metadata.

1.PNG

You can also create or load your business glossary by importing from Microsoft excel. You can add additional source or import metadata anytime in the future. Remember that the more data sources are loaded the better the catalog will be.

Tip: Alteryx workflows can be easily scheduled so you keep your catalog always up-to-date.

Once Alteryx Connect is loaded everyonecan start using it!Following simple steps will help you to leverage your Connect and make theData Analyst`s day easier.

#1 Search and Discover information assets using search feature available on every page.

Use our powerful search to find the asset you need and by clicking on the information asset. Just type in the keyword to the search box and see what happens. The search will present result sortedby relevance as you type.

2.png

Tip:If you can`t find, what you are looking for, click "Enter" while in the search box and you will getadvanced search page where you can filter by entry type or location of an asset.

# 2 Explore the details about the information asset

Byclicking on information asset you`ll get most importantdetails stored in the Connect. You`ll see information such as description of an asset, people connected to the asset, whether the asset is marked as certified or recent activities related to this asset and many more.

3.png

You can also explore relevantconnections to this asset by using nexus tool.

4.png

#3 Get Access to the information asset

Getting access is another challenge prior you can use the data source. Alteryx Connect lets you simply ask for access. This will trigger notification to the responsible person make things happen.

5.png

Tip:For some assets like reports you can directly go to the asset and use it by clicking on OPEN button

#4 Share and Collaborate to dump your knowledge and connect to others

And finally if you feel there isanything missing or valuable to add please helpothers and do it.

Annotate it

6.png

comment it

7.png

or share it.

8.png

Tip:Use "thumb up" to indicate that this asset is valuable to you.

That`s it. Did you get it?

So if you believe inthe power of sharing and collaboration in the data analytics community.Just start using your Alteryx Connect and become the champion of the new generation of data analyst citizens. Discover, explore access, annotate and share your data and get connected with others.

Additional resources:

Comments
MartinM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Thank you Ondřej :) 

adrianloong
11 - Bolide

A quick note ; the second link to the help file 'How to certify assets in Alteryx Connect' is not working correctly

MikeSp
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hello @adrianloong,

Thanks for the message! I've updated the link to the documentation so that it links to the correct place now.

戴卫
6 - Meteoroid
Do you have any guides on the XML format used by connect?
OndrejC
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi,

in Connect SDK online docs there are annotated examples of Connect's configuration files (xmls). This can give you quick jump start. Pls let us know if you have any specific questions around that.

https://help.alteryx.com/developer/current/index.htm#Connect/Examples/ConfigFileCreation.htm

戴卫
6 - Meteoroid
That's a start, but it's mainly comments in a file with little context or wider schema or definitions. Does a schema document exist explaining the actual meanings of the tags? Was any standard XML format followed? Thanks
OndrejC
Alteryx
Alteryx

Schema document can be found here as xsd definition:

https://help.alteryx.com/developer/current/Connect/Components.htm

mat_ste_cb
8 - Asteroid

Hi there,

is it possible to get a list of all relationships between datasources, workflows, apps and reports? Here I see that I can take it just for one item, but I need to have an overall view.

Thanks in advance!

OndrejC
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi,

this is not on the Connect UI however you can allways go to underlaying database and get such information from there:

• Enable access to the Connect database (follow the guide in Connect Help -> Administer -> Review Connect Usage Information -> Enable access to the Connect database)
  • query database table RELATIONSHIP where
    • SOURCE_XID is source object of the relationship and points to ENTRY.entry_xid column
    • TARGET_XID is target object of the relationship and points to ENTRY.entry_xid column
    • RELATIONSHIP_TYPE - you can filter only for specific types of relationships between objects (e.g."dbview-is-based-on-table"  / "has-file-input")

Ondrej

Connect Team

ravi_cherai
6 - Meteoroid

I have two web service links,

1 - login page

2 - actual url link - Json files.

I need your assistance, using text object and download object how to run these webservices in alteryx.

DanH

Hi @ravi_cherai 

I'm not sure exactly what your question is. This article is about a specific data cataloging product called Alteryx Connect. If you need help with the Download Tool use within Alteryx Designer, this link might help. You can send a static URL into the Download Tool from a Text Input Tool, or you can dynamically build a URL with a Formula Tool to send into the Download Tool.

npandya
7 - Meteor

@OndrejC,

I have built a custom loader to upload metadata using the REST API calls. Now, in my source data I have tags associated with columns. I see a tag field in the connect as well, but I know I can't attach a column in DB_TABLES for tags and upload that.

How can I upload the tag information on connect so that it will show up in the assets?

Thank you.

-Nisarg

OndrejC
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @npandya ,

you should to it in similar way how we are doing in Tableau Loader or e.g. S3 Loader (and fill_in table LOADED_TAGS).

Updated: we are able to bring "loaded tags" from the loader for tables, views & columns, pls see Azure Data Catalog Loader for inspiration.

thx,

Ondrej

Connect team

npandya
7 - Meteor

Thank you @OndrejC for the suggestion.

I have seen a macro called "ToXIDEncode" for encoding parent of tags before uploading LOADED_TAGS into connect. When I used the same macro in my workflow it is not identifying the "user.base64" attribute. Can I use base64 encoder tool instead of the macro used in the Azure Data Catalog loader to perform the same operation? 

Furthermore, I already tried using the base64 encoder tool and the workflow runs with data in LOADED_TAGS. However, I'm not seeing any tags associated with columns of the table in connect asset. How is the encoded column (PARENT_XID) works?

OndrejC
Alteryx
Alteryx

hi @npandya ,

PARENT_XID in loaded_tags is the XID of the object you are adding tag to. So in case of attaching the tag to a table it's xid of that table. You can find it in the URL when you are on the page of the table.

Construction of the xid of the table is following

<xid>$lu.toXidEncoded("${catalog_engine}/${catalog_environment}/${catalog_name}/${schema_name}/${table_name}")</xid>

Hope this helps you,

Ondrej 

npandya
7 - Meteor

@OndrejC 

I get it, but when I encode the concatenation of [catalog_engine, environment, name, schema and table name] for tags associated with tables and the same with column name for tags associated with columns (as shown in azure data catalog loader), it not showing tags in the tag filed of alteryx connect

The error I can think of is: I'm using base64 encoder tool instead of the ToXIDMacro used in the existing loader and I'm using it because the macro gives me an error (not able to identify user.base64 atribute).

Do I have to use that macro to generate Parent_XID or I can use base64 tool instead of that?  

OndrejC
Alteryx
Alteryx

hi @npandya ,

what about when you compare xid generated by base64 encoder tool with the real xid in Connect, are they both the same?

I guess we did have some troubles to use base64 encoder tool so we are using different approach.

We can prepare you simple workflow if this will help you.

thx,

Ondrej

PetrH
Alteryx
Alteryx

hi @npandya, 

this small example xid endode macro should help you.

You can download it here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tmtx5592nf0y47d/AAAodMb1FbIgRxxnZ2O_wM9Ca?dl=0

image.png

npandya
7 - Meteor

@OndrejC ,

Xids generated from base64 encoder tool were not matching with all the tables/columns xids on connect (though it matched for couple).

@PetrH ,

The macro works for me. I don't know why it was giving me the error for user.base64 attribute before, but now it's working somehow and I'm able to upload the tags on connect.

Thanks both of you for the help.

PetrH
Alteryx
Alteryx

Thank you for letting us know.