Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Connect Knowledge Base

Definitive answers from Connect experts.

Loading File System Metadata to Connect

MattD
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Created

Connect Banner.png

Please see Maintaining Data Lineage for details and requirements before your metadata harvest. After ensuring you’ve downloaded the latest Connect Metadata loaders from the live downloads page, simply proceed with the steps below to upload File System Metadata to your Alteryx Connect instance!

1. Open Alteryx Designer and Click Help > Sample Workflows > Alteryx Connect Metadata Loaders > Files Loader > Files Loader:

1.png

1. Open the Analytic App interface by clicking the wand icon to the right of the “Run” button:

2.png

1. Configure the Files to load tab and select “Next”:

4.png

• The UNC path specified can be found from your file share directory by right clicking and selecting Properties > Sharing:

9.png

1. Configure the Alteryx Connect tab with your admin credentials:

3.png

Note: At this stage it is recommended that you save the YXWV value file from the app interface into the Files loader directory (C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\AlteryxConnect\Files_Loader\

5.png

This .yxwv file of app configurations can be used later for scheduling the Files metadata loader for a regular harvest.

1. Click “Finish” and wait for the app to load your metadata to Connect. Depending on how much metadata is being imported, the app can take some time to run:

6.png

6. Upon completion of a successful metadata harvest, the app will output “Success” and you can select “OK” to exit. To confirm the harvest, open the Connect website to validate the metadata load in Datasources > Files:

7.png

8.png

Comments
JalenBraegelmann
8 - Asteroid

Is there a way to configure this file loader to load into the "Reports" instead of the "Data Sources"? Reason being, our finance team has a number of reports (.xlsx) that they would like to document. It would be more intuitive to have them in the Reports section instead of imbedded in the data sources section. Is there an easy way to tweak this workflow to do that?

N_FirstMileAnalytics
6 - Meteoroid

@JalenBraegelmann 

Have you found out a way to add reports into the 'Reports' section?

JalenBraegelmann
8 - Asteroid

@N_FirstMileAnalytics  - No I have not. I have opted for the manual route of using the "Move" feature within Connect instead. I am lucky that my data set is fairly static so it is not even scheduled to run. So when I need to refresh the folder, I have to "Move" it under reports.