Alteryx Connect Knowledge Base

Definitive answers from Connect experts.

Data Source Name test to H2 database timing out

lepome
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Created

Environment Details

When trying to reach the H2 database from another computer, the DSN test fails.

• Alteryx Connect 
    • all versions
  • Alteryx Designer and Server 
    • same version as the Connect version.
  • PostgreSQL Unicode ODBC Driver version 9.02.01 (64-bit)
  • Windows 64-bit ODBC Administrator
  • Connection to port 5435

Error: Could not connect to the server;
A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond. [IP address] 

Cause

When upgrading to more recent versions of Alteryx products, some of the files get overwritten.  If you have not backed them up before and then restored them after upgrade, you need to make any necessary changes.  The above error messages suggest that access to the Connect H2 database has not been enabled.

Resolution

Follow the instructions in the Help section entitled "Review Connect Usage Information."  In particular, make sure that you have added the line 

allow.db.console=true

into the alteryx_connect.properties file, located by default in C:\Program Files\AlteryxConnect\ac_work\, and then have restarted the service after making that change.  The file should look similar to this:

Comments
VojtechT
Alteryx
Alteryx

Thank you @lepome for the article. 

Although as the PM I have to mention that accessing Connect's DB directly is not officially supported and should be avoided if possible. Especially since ineffective SQL command can easily consume all the resources and users might encounter issues with Connect's performance. However, I admit there are tons of useful data in the db and if user knows what they're doing, why not to use it.

Nevertheless, great article for sure.

It's probably also worth to mention that the H2 requires a version of PgSQL ODBC driver which is not officially supported anymore and the newer drivers will not work. 

Vojta T.

Connect Product Manager

lepome
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@VojtechT 
You make good points.  I would hope that people who use this are reading only.