Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Weird Excel Headers using Reporting

Aguisande
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi Guys (and Girls)

Today, I was presented with this case:

Using the Reporting tools (a Table & Render), when I select Excel as the destination for the report, the Header names (Field names) are chopped or renamed (in HTML for example, they came out right).

In this case is something like this:

Excel Headers

I'm attaching the basic workflow.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

19 REPLIES 19
kane_glendenning
10 - Fireball

Hi Alberto,

This is a little strange behaviour. It seems that the render does not like the A4 page layout size (or Letter) when outputting to Excel. The quick fix that I got to work was to change the Paper Size to A3 or B3, however this would then fail if the data was larger than a normal A3/B3 sheet....

It looks like a bug, so would be worth sending to Client Services to be logged. I've attached a version that has data and can be run by anyone to test.

Kane

Aguisande
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Thanks Kane,

I'll send this to Client Services / PRoduct team to be checked.

Thanks a lot for reviewing and putting the data into it (I really forgot).

Best,

_AG_

PS: I'll try with B3/A3 sizes to see what happens.

Joe_Lipski
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @Aguisande

I remember having this issue a few months back which my colleague @oliver_sayers and I investigated. I'm out of the office atm so hopefully he can advise you of the solution that we found.

Thanks,

Joe

Joe Lipski
oliver_sayers
6 - Meteoroid

Hi,

In the Render, under 'Report Style' select 'Custom Size' and then edit the size manually until all of the column headings fit.

Thanks,

Oli

oliver_sayers
6 - Meteoroid

Hi @aguisande,

Please see the attached photo for further guidance.

Thanks @joe_lipski

Oli

Aguisande
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Thank you to all...

Even when we can workaround (thanks to your suggestions), is still a bug, right?

MargaritaW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hola Alberto,

The reason is that your data has too many columns to be fit into the page width requested in the Render tool. The Render is meant to produce document for printing purposes (reports and such). As I would expect, your workflow is throwing a warning message "the current page layout will cause some data to be incorrectly truncated. You may consider modifying how the data is laid out"

If you want to output a larger amount of data with the Render tool, then you would have to change, as suggested, the paper size to custom and increase the page width (the first value), don't be shy increasing that number, it seems that 20 did the trick for your sample data, it depends on the number of columns, I've seen it increased over 140. I think it is working as designed so no cucaracha =)

Let me know if you want to discuss further.

Margarita Wilshire
Sr. Manager, Customer Support Engineering
Women & Allies Committee

Alteryx, Inc.
Aguisande
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Thanks a lot !

Increasing the size works for me, so it should for our customers...

Thanks again! and right..no cucaracha at all!! :P

chris_love
12 - Quasar

Silly question as I realise it's just an example, but why use Render here? The output tool is much better for xlsx data output, I appreciate you can't do formatting then but a formatted Excel report is probably the worst way to deliver this data anyway...

Labels