Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Unknown Error During Auth

EEdLoh
8 - Asteroid

I set Alteryx server up to use Windows Authentication and with somebody else as the default gallery admin. I followed the link to bring me to the gallery and it worked just fine. One of my coworkers then needed to publish a workflow, so I went back through the Alteryx System Settings wizard and changed myself to be the default admin. This way, I could sign in, divvy out a couple permissions, and change the settings back. That all worked fine as well. But once I changed the settings back such that my coworker was the admin again, I got this error window when I tried to log back into the Gallery:

Uknown Auth Error.png

Now I get that window every time I try to log into the gallery. I've tried logging in from different computers and different browsers as well as clearing my browsing cache/history. Nothing seems to work. I had the new administrator reset my password, but my Windows password doesn't have a special character in it and the prompt required me to add one. I'm not sure if the password change even took effect, since we're on Windows Authentication. How can I regain access to the Gallery? What did I do wrong in the first place?

6 REPLIES 6
SophiaF
Alteryx
Alteryx

@EEdLoh - please contact support@alteryx.com and we would be happy to assist; a resolution likely requires access to the server machine.

Best,

Sophia Fraticelli
Senior Solutions Architect
Alteryx, Inc.
Inactive User
Not applicable

Has an issue been found on this issue? Having the exact same one - my AD account works fine and so does a colleagues but the rest of the team get this error. When they try to login for the first time they get the error but in the User panel on Admin they are actually getting added as users. Bizarre. On 11.7.

MikeSp
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hello @Inactive User,

There are a few potential things that can cause this particular issue, so I'd definitely recommend reaching out to support if you haven't yet! This can range from communication problems with the Active Directory Domain Controller, to an entry (such as the default subscription) missing from your Gallery, to an issue with permissions provided to the user where they have no access.

When you reach out, I would suggest providing the Gallery and Service log from your server, making sure to note the time the user having the issue tried to login. The Gallery log will likely have a more detailed message as to the underlying issue.

Mike Spoula
Alteryx
Inactive User
Not applicable

@MikeSp Yep have made a support ticket. I actually viewed the subscriptions and there does not appear to be a default one - is this a known issue with AD when this is not existent? What is the method of creating and setting a default subscription?

MikeSp
Alteryx
Alteryx

@Inactive User,

If the default subscription was deleted, this is known behavior.

In a Windows Authentication environment, when a brand new user logs in for the first time, they are assigned as a member of the default subscription (named "No Name" on a new database). When the default subscription doesn't exist (such as if it is deleted) new users still get assigned as a member of the default subscription by that subscription's original Mongo ID (503bac188031af11f8f8e478). When we try to reference that subscription Mongo ID on login to see if the user has a membership, we're unable to find the subscription and thus the login fails, regardless of the user's permissions. This is referenced in the "sponsor" field of the particular user within the AlteryxGallery\users collection.

If the "No Name" subscription is deleted after a user account is created, the "sponsor" field is nulled in the users collection for any users with that ID assigned, and those users can sometimes then continue to login. New users will, however, receive the error regarding the missing subscription in this situation, so you may see some users can login while others cannot.

To resolve the issue, it requires manual modification to the MongoDB to restore the entry, and is best handled with support directly to make sure that the entry is inserted correctly and to verify the issue is properly resolved so there aren't any issues with the MongoDB down the line. We'll look forward to working with you to get it cleared up!

Mike Spoula
Alteryx
Inactive User
Not applicable

@MikeSp Thank you - I have done a reinstall and everything is working fine now leaving that default subscription alone.