Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Publish Tableau Workbook to Tableau Server

fain-m
5 - Atom

I am wondering if anyone knows how to publish or update an existing a Tableau Workbook to Tableau Server? I can write a .tde directly to server, but cannot find a solution to publish/update a workbook. Any recommendations and/or help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! 

14 REPLIES 14
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

http://help.alteryx.com/10.5/index.htm#Macro-TableauServerPublish.htm?Highlight=Tableau

there is a tool available for download from the gallery that was made for you. 

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
fain-m
5 - Atom

MarqueeCrew- 

I actually been using this macro, but from my understanding it only publishes .tde file. Am I missing something? 

The goal is to publish a workbook or an existing workbook to the server. Do you know if that's possible? 

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

If you have a workbook connected to the .tde file it should refresh when you publish. 

Have you tried this?

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
fain-m
5 - Atom
Yes, I've done this and it's great. But those are new workbooks that I would create using the .tde file not existing, right? I am trying to publish an existing dashboard using the .tde file. We currently have several dashboards that are already built and I would like to somehow use the extract or another method (if available) and publish them to the server. Does this make sense? If it doesn't, let me know and I will clarify.
andrewdatakim
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Hi Fain-M,

I am thinking there is some miscommunication it almost sounds like you are trying to publish a .twb or a .twbx, so a workbook or packaged workbook. If this is what you are looking for you can publish these but you need to use tabcmd. Tabcmd can be run in Alteryx using the "Run Command" tool, but you will need to install tabcmd on your computer which you either need to get from your server or go to a third party site to get (I think The Information Lab has it on there site). The documentation for tabcmd can be found here: http://onlinehelp.tableau.com/current/server/en-us/tabcmd_cmd.htm  .Tde files are only the data source for the Tableau workbook. If you are trying to update these you can use the "overwrite" option within the Publish to Tableau server tool and that will update the data source.

fain-m
5 - Atom

AndrewKim, 

Thank you for your reponse. I appreciate the help. I actually figured out this issue, it was a lot easier than anticipated. I published the .tde file to Tableau Server and then opened my tableau dashboard which was sitting on my desktop and not the server. In Tableau I connected to a new data source, which was the .tde file that I published from Alteryx. Lastly, I replaced the existing data source with the .tde file from server and then published the dashboard to Tableau Server. Now everytime I run the workflow within Alteryx and publish the .tde file to the server my dashboard updates. :)

ephij
9 - Comet

I would like to publish twb, enabling "dynamic" parameter values in Tableau through alteryx.  I can download the twb using the Tableau API, modify the xml but shouldn't publish back to server be possible using the API w/o tab cmd?  So long as the workbook is small?

The steps seem very similar to Datasource publishing so I'm interested to know if what I'm proposing isn't possible before I dig into reverse engineering the datasource macro.

https://onlinehelp.tableau.com/current/api/rest_api/en-us/REST/rest_api_ref.htm#Publish_Workbook

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi @ephij,

I've recently created a 'Publish Tableau Workbook' macro that makes this possible and i've built an example video of your desired output here: https://twitter.com/benjnmoss/status/981488682753515520

The macro can be found here: https://gallery.alteryx.com/#!app/Publish-Tableau-Workbook/5ac4ee90826fd32cec14ef68

You would need to write your xml out of alteryx as a .twb file and then use the block until done to then use this tool to push the workbook to server. 

I plan on publishing a blog highlighting this usecase over the next week.

Ben

sumitiiest
8 - Asteroid

Hi Ben,

Really this macro is awesome. It is publishing any twbx workbook to the server with the desired name.

But I am facing one issue while publishing .twb workbook. Its giving below error:-

"Error: Publish Tableau Workbook (6): Tool #65: Tool #4: Tableau Server API Request (Commit Workbook) Error Code 400011: Bad Request -- There was a problem publishing the file '9159:34A33380D32F420B90A1B31B869C6DC9-1:1'."

I will be very grateful to you if you can help me on this.

Thanks,

Sumit

Labels