Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Multiple Emails sent when email tool too early in workflow

flipperdm
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

Not sure why this behaviour happens but when I have the follow workflow:

Input Tool -> Select Tool -> Email Tool (with the output as the second branch), I see multiple emails for the same file.

But when I add another tool like Table (or anything else) and then put the email AFTER that tool, it sends the single email.

Is there a cleaner way to make this work? (the full workflow is more complicated and I don't want to have unnecessary tools on the workspace when I publish.

Mark

Capture.JPGCapture2.JPG

9 REPLIES 9
suli
9 - Comet

The second one is the correct way... no unnecessary tools included there.

You are sending out multiple emails because in the section 'body' you are using a field.

1. You can also save a file with an output tool

AND

(2. Add 'block until done' before output, in the first output save file, in the second - send email with a file attachment

OR

2. in workflow configuration-> events add an event (email) with the file you have just saved as an attachment.)

Btw. I think you cannot use email tool nor events in the gallery https://help.alteryx.com/10.0/PublishMessages.htm

Hope it helps!

andre347
10 - Fireball

Alteryx will send out an e-mail for each record you're passing into the tool. You can use a summarize, or one of the reporting tools to bring this down to 1 row. I sometimes use a sample tool to just get the first row and pass that into the E-mail tool. This will mean it will only send out one e-mail when the workflow finishes running.

You can have the e-mail tool in your own Gallery, you can't use it in gallery.alteryx.com - this is prohibited but can you change that setting on your own server.

ddiesel
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

@andre347... brilliant!

I was going crazy with the multiple emails and the sample tool did the trick! Thanks!

ggalvez
5 - Atom

Hello I am new to Alteryx and I did try a very simple workflow to test the email tool.  I followed the recommendations/suggestions in this discussion but nothing worked.  I did use the sample tool as well with one record and first I used the browser tool to ensure there was only one record returned and i am still getting tens of emails.  Has this happened to anybody and resolved in a different manner?

Thank you,

ddiesel
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

@ggalvez I'm new to Alteryx too and I couldn't survive without this community!

Here's how I have my workflow configured. The sample tool is just prior to the email tool.

Capture.PNG

Let me know if you're still stuck and maybe I can help troubleshoot.

poojitha4
8 - Asteroid

I have tried using the basic table tool->taking one row using the sample tool and send an email, but I get a blank email. If you could help, that will be helpful

ddiesel
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @poojitha4... I'm happy to help. Are you able to share your workflow?

WendyChen
7 - Meteor

Hi @andre347 

When you mentioned you used summarize tool to make the email tool send out only one email. How did you configure your summarize tool? 

Thanks!

Wendy

VizWithDan
7 - Meteor

Thank you!!!

Labels