Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

Limit on size of output file? Gallery 11.5

KenMoorhead
7 - Meteor

Is there a limit to the size of a file that can be output via the gallery? I have an app for exporting from a master dataset; the app works fine and runs without errors. The final output is a .yxdb file, giving users the option to download the data in a variety of formats for their use.

Today I have a user doing a large export from the master, it run fine but they're not able to download the output file from the gallery. They have tried both csv and tde file types; in both instances, they receive a file conversion error and are taken to a blank webpage that just displays a json object that is mostly empty except for "message":"There was an error converting your file."

Would I be better served to specify a hard-coded output file type within the app, instead of allowing users to select a type to convert into at download?

For what it's worth, I'm able to download the yxdb version of the output file. It's about 450MB.

2 REPLIES 2
JeffF
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @KenMoorhead.

I don't know of a size limit for an output file on the gallery, but there is a 30 second time limit for converting the .yxdb to another format. The timeout is resulting in the error message you are seeing. In my testing with a 450MB .yxdb it took about 70 seconds to export to an 8GB .csv file. It took about 7 minutes to convert to .tde.

You could hard code the output as a .csv in your workflow. Then the user could download that file from the gallery. You'd have to decide if you want to store those result files in your MongoDB and if you want to have users downloading files that large from your server.

KenMoorhead
7 - Meteor

@JeffF wrote:

Hi @KenMoorhead.

I don't know of a size limit for an output file on the gallery, but there is a 30 second time limit for converting the .yxdb to another format. The timeout is resulting in the error message you are seeing. In my testing with a 450MB .yxdb it took about 70 seconds to export to an 8GB .csv file. It took about 7 minutes to convert to .tde.

You could hard code the output as a .csv in your workflow. Then the user could download that file from the gallery. You'd have to decide if you want to store those result files in your MongoDB and if you want to have users downloading files that large from your server.

Thanks Jeff! Figured out that it would work if we forced it to output the csv or tde, instead of converting at the download screen.