Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

How to POST JSON to REST API

PiotrJarzyna
6 - Meteoroid

I have a REST API with method POST that expects data in JSON format in the body. I am trying send data from Alteryx (DownloadTool) to this API calling the POST method, but with no success. I receive various errors 400 / 415 etc. Could you please explain how to configure DownloadTool to post to REST API?

Example errors:

DownloadData
{"Errors":["The request entity's media type 'application/x-www-form-urlencoded' is not supported for this resource."],"StatusCode":415}

DownloadHeaders
HTTP/1.1 415 Unsupported Media Type
Cache-Control: no-cache
Pragma: no-cache
Content-Length: 135
Content-Type: application/json; charset=utf-8
Expires: -1
Server: Microsoft-IIS/8.5
P3P: policyref="/w3c/p3p.xml", CP="NON COR CURa ADMa DEVa OUR NOR"
Date: Sat, 20 May 2017 15:16:52 GMT

Kind regards,

Piotr

16 REPLIES 16
deethesh
5 - Atom

Thanks Nick  , Sophie : 

I'm able to extract the JSON response after adding below Header :

user-agent
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/46.0.2490.80 Safari/537.36

kcabrera
5 - Atom

The link for the slack API example is not working for me.  Is it still available?

davidhenington
10 - Fireball

looks like that link has been down for a while. 

davidhenington
10 - Fireball

@NickJ wrote:

Hi Piotr,

Not a direct answer to your problem, but have you seen this great post on the Slack REST API? (https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Portland-ME/Meeting-2-in-the-books/gpm-p/32526#M14)

It gives you a pretty good example (including a workflow) of using a POST action on an external API

Cheers,

Nick

Hi Nick, having same issue and am troubleshooting. That link is dead. 

Anshita
8 - Asteroid

Hi @PiotrJarzyna ,

I myself am trying to create JSON but unable to do so. I see that you have already created one yourself, can you please direct me to some good material that I can use to create my own json string. I am currently using the JSON Builder and my data looks good but it is not working for me. 

Thanks

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Thanks, @GavinAttard your way worked for my request to post some JSON 👍

Jay2022
8 - Asteroid

@GavinAttard  Good morning! Reading up on this post I wonder if you could help me. I have a workflow design to send a series of data via API. First we need to convert a cvs file into json one row at the time and send that via POST. but I keep getting the below error as if the reeiver is not getting it. Can you help with the design or a better way to do this. I am using an url, client_secret, clientId and grantType credentials from the receiver. It works on Postman if i send each row at the time json style and after i received a bearer token.

I am very new at API and fairly ok with Alteryx so all the help I can get would be appreciated.

Labels