Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How can I add a reference map

k_koebisawa
7 - Meteor

Hello! 

Could anyone tell me the way to add a referense map?

Many thanks.

Kazu

6 REPLIES 6
chris_love
12 - Quasar

Hi Kazu

if you're interested in adding your own layers as a new reference map then the starting point is this documentation:

http://downloads.alteryx.com/Alteryx/Help/Reference/MapFile.htm

After that if you have questions then do let us know!

Chris

k_koebisawa
7 - Meteor

Hi Chris

Thank you so much for your support.

I'll try it, and if there is some questions, I'll let you know.

Many thanks

Kazuki

chris_love
12 - Quasar

I think the hardest part is knowing where to drop the new .map file and have it show in Alteryx, I just struggled myself. Let me have a play and give some more detailed instructions....unless someone else knows off the top of their head before I get there....

Peoolu
5 - Atom

Hi. I would like to know how to add a map.

Hollingsworth
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Kazu, It would help to know more about where you want the map to appear.

Basic:

Alteryx comes packaged with reference maps that can be used to view spatial data in a browser tool (pre 10.0) or Output window (v10.0). These same maps can also be configured and used in the Map tool found in the Reporting toolset.

Advanced:

As Chris mentioned, you can further modify the cartographic attributes of these maps or even add in your own layers. This is done by editing the .map files Chris mentioned. These .map files are documented here.

The files are located in subfolders where you installed the Alteryx data files. I use the Tele_Atlas reference map and have modified it for my purposes. My map file is located at this path (D:\Alteryx\AlteryxMap\TomTom_US_2015_Q1\Tele_Atlas_US_V6.map), but your path may differ based on where you installed the data. 

If you give us more information we can be more helpful.

John

John Hollingsworth
Clear Channel Outdoor
TimPowers
6 - Meteoroid

Is anyone knowledgeable about both Mapbox and the Alteryx - Light, Dark, Streets base layer maps?

If you open up the .map file for Alteryx - Light, for instance, the base layer is defined by a call to Mapbox (as we know from the attribution). In Mapbox you can customize the default maps provided (which include these styles) - does anyone know how I can change Alteryx - Streets to a customized version I've created in Mapbox? It seems like it requires an API call (see attached) with the new style, but does someone know the exact structure of that URL with a custom style?

Labels