Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Entering credentials has been disabled

RodLight
8 - Asteroid

I'm working with a client to set up their Gallery. Everything seems to be working, they can log into the Gallery, they can connect to their Gallery from Designer, but when they try to save a workflow from their Designer, they get the following error...

Entering credentials disabled.png

What's interesting is that it shows "Placeholder" where the user name should be and just "Gallery Location" where the Studio name should be.

Any one see this before and have thoughts on what might be the issue?

Thanks,
Rod

8 REPLIES 8
KevinP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@RodLight Is the AlteryxService running with a service account instead of the default 'Local System' account? If so most likely the cause for this error is insufficient privileges for the service account related to the servers machine key used to encrypt user credentials. As per the server help documentation (https://help.alteryx.com/server/current/admin/index.htm#Configuration/RunasPermissions.htm) please ensure the service account and/or Run As user has read and write access to %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys.

You can verify this issue in the AlteryxService log after a service restart. During the startup messages you will encounter the following notice and error messages if there is a permissions limitation causing your issue:

NOTICE,8912,AlteryxService,,,,,,,,"AlteryxService_InitLocalEncryptedStorage: Initializing encrypted storage locally."
ERROR,8912,AlteryxService,,,,,,,,"AlteryxService_InitLocalEncryptedStorage_Error: Error importing keys to Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys\ directory in ProgramData: Access is denied.  (5)"
RodLight
8 - Asteroid

@KevinP

Thanks for the info, but we left the "Local System" account as the account running the service. From what you are saying, should the Local System account have access to that folder already (so no changes needed for that)?

And if it's not that, should there be a log entry for when the user is trying to save a workflow? Would that also be in the AlteryxService log, or would it be in a different log file?

Thanks again,

Rod

KevinP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@RodLight We usually don't encounter this issue when using the Local System account unless they have a pretty heavily locked down server. You can still check the service log after a restart to verify if this is indeed the issue or not. Every instance I have seen of the described behavior has been due to this permissions issue. If the permissions isn't the issue I would need to look at the service and gallery logs after reproducing the behavior to identify any other possible causes.

Edit: Please also note that the Run As user defined in system settings should also have read and write access to the machine keys. So it could be the Run As user that doesn't have the necessary permissions rather than the service account.

RodLight
8 - Asteroid

@KevinP

I connected with the customer and confirmed that they still have the Local System account as the logon. Restarted the AlteryxService and no errors showed in the log.

We then got a user (a different one than the one that was getting the error) to try to save to the server and everything appeared to be working. So not sure what the issue is (or was). 

I have a call with the entire team tomorrow, so I'll try with the user that was getting the error originally to see if she still has the issue. 

If so, what logs would you want that might show the error?

Thanks,
Rod

KevinP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@RodLight If you can collect the Service and Gallery logs from the server. It would also be helpful to know the times when the issue was reproduced and the IP of the client workstation that reproduced the issue.

RodLight
8 - Asteroid

@KevinP

Had the call with the customer and it seems like it has "resolved itself". The user that was having the issue could open and save workflows from the server.

But thanks for the input on how to troubleshoot. 

KevinP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@RodLight thanks for the update and I am glad this is working for the customer.

digitalmemo
8 - Asteroid

Hi Everyone, can I post on to this thread for the sake of having the solution into one discussion? 

Here's my issue, I am having this error message (Credential usage is disabled as a result of encryption configuration, Please contact your server administrator) when adding MS SQL Server connection to the Alteryx Gallery Data Connections. I read along this topic and came into my mind that it's possible that this error could be due to that our alteryx service not running as local service. But would it still matter if I am using a specific credential to log on to the host that I am connecting to?
Please advise thank you all 🙂

Alteryx Gallery Data Connection error.PNG