Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Creating Dynamic Chart Title

kokeefe
5 - Atom

Hello I am new to using Alteryx.  I have a report in which I am charting some data for a given quarter and would like to have the title of the chart reflect the column [Quarter] which is a field that is part of the data set but not actually used in the chart.

I was hoping for the header to be something like this "Average IP for [Quarter]" so that I don't have to change the title every quarter that the report goes out.

When I add a report text tool and connect my chart tool to it, I don't have the field [Quarter] in my available fields.

Any ideas/help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kendra

4 REPLIES 4
JoeM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@kokeefe,

You are right on for using the report text tool. Is your quarter represented as a string or a number? If it is represented as a numeric datatype, it will not show as an option in the report text tool. Attached is an example of me successfully appending the quarters to the chart title.

kokeefe
5 - Atom

Thanks for the response JoeM.  I can see that when I click on the chart in your example you have both the chart column and the quarter column.  In mine I am not sure how to get that quarter column to pass through along with the chart.  see image attached. What am I missing here?

Workflow.JPG

JoeM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@kokeefe, what I did differently than you is that I grouped on "Quarter" in the Grouping configuration. By doing a grouping by quarter, it will give you a chart for each quarter in your dataset. Since I had q1 and q2, it generated two groups (2 charts). It also passes the grouping value, which is why you see the quarter values coming out of the charting tool in my example.

img.png

kokeefe
5 - Atom

Success! Thanks for taking the time to help out, much appreciated!

Labels